Universal new mail message keyboard shortcut

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gianthobbit, Aug 3, 2012.

1. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

Back to mail.app after Sparrow development has ended. Feature I loved was the universal keyboard shortcut to create a new mail message.

Done extensive searching online with no luck... Anyone know if this is possible?

2. Sirobin macrumors 6502

Sirobin

BetterTouchTool can do it. Create a new global keyboard shortcut, and for action, choose Open URL. For the URL, put "mailto:" (no quotes). Then you should be good to go! You can also put an email address after the mailto: to automatically fill the To field in the email, if you wanted.

3. mmduluth macrumors regular

Thanks for this!

4. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

I actually went a different (and more native) route. I setup a automator service, then went into system pref and setup a keyboard short cut (cmd+shift+N):

1)
    [​IMG]

2)
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

5. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Not sure what that Sparrow keyboard equivalent did, but this is a good reason to get LaunchBar. You can either invoke an applescript (included) to create a new, unaddressed email message, or invoke the address and send an email, copy a snail mail address, dial the addressee's number, etc. All with a coupla keyboard strokes from anywhere.

There are also a couple of Services, one for mailing to address and one for copying the selection into a new email. I think they're included with the OS.

Rob