Universal Remote Question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by someguy, May 23, 2007.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I just bought a TV from a garage sale and everything is great with it except for one issue. It didn't come with a remote.

So, I bought This universal remote from Radio Shack and it works fine for the most part. The only problem is that the TV has two RCA inputs and the remote only allows me to switch to one of them.

The TV is a 27" Sylvania (CRT style) and when I press the TV/VCR button to switch to the input channel, it says GAME on the screen and displays whatever is plugged into the front RCA inputs. Pressing TV/VCR again takes me back to the channels.

I RTFM, and that helped very little.

Any ideas? Do I just need a different remote? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Some older TV's wont utilize most buttons on a universal remote. Or it will use buttons for different things depending on the TV.

Or you did not use the right code. Some brands have many different codes.

3. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

My dad's tv has two RCA inputs (back+side) yet only one controller and when two things ar econnected all the video goes wonky and the audio gets funny. Maybe your TV is like this?

4. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

I'm using the only code for my brand that works at all. Maybe I just need to try a different remote?

I have two things connected now and it's fine, I just can't access the second input source.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Maybe that is why it was at a garage sale.:)

6. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Actually, this wasn't for sale in the garage sale. I was walking through a subdivision full of garage sales and happened to ask one couple if they had a TV they would like to get rid of. They said they were moving and were thinking of getting rid of the TV in their living room, so I went inside and ended up walking out with it.

While I was there, they let me fool around with it to make sure it worked fine and I did not have any problems with anything then.