Universal remote to replace Apple remote (+ TV, satellite, DVD, etc)?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Lornholio, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Lornholio macrumors newbie

I've just discovered Front Row on my new Macbook after playing with the Apple remote that came with my iPod dock. Awesome stuff, especially once I sort out my TV connections. Hint: add an alias inside the Movies folder to anywhere you want (I keep most of my video files on my external drive).

Anyway, does anyone know of a universal remotes that I could use to control my TV, freeview box, Macbook and possibly a DVD player? I've used One For All models before for TV/freeview/DVD, so I've emailed them to ask (no info on their website), but if anyone knows of one let me know.

2. badgerman macrumors 6502a

Let us know what one for all say, I would like to know this. I have the Kameleon 6 in 1 that learns remotes. If yours does the direct learning thats one way if ofa dont have the codes.

3. Lornholio thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'll post their reply. So can you program your one to work with your Macbook?

4. speed12 macrumors regular

a lot of universal remotes have IR learning which should be good to go to record the apple remote commands. The logitech universals are meant to be ace so I would look there. I'm looking at getting one as my hifi amps remote has just knackered.

5. badgerman macrumors 6502a

If I had a apple remote I could do direct learn, but dont so need the codes. Can then update my OFA over the phone.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The logitech harmony remotes will work with it, at least Logitech's compatibility checker says so.

7. Lornholio thread starter macrumors newbie

I got a reply from One Fo All:

Sounds good, I need to look into those when I have some time.

8. badgerman macrumors 6502a

Well good, Ive got the URC 8060. Will give them a call tomoz to download the codes.

So what can we use with the apple remote, itunes, VLC, Quick time?

9. Lornholio thread starter macrumors newbie

All of the above. The coolest thing is Front Row - hit the MENU button on the remote and Front Row launches, giving you a very simple layout to browse all your media and play it full screen. My display adapters are coming this week so hopefully this will work well with whatever macbook screen + monitor + TV configuration I work out. Plus you can boot and sleep the Macbook by holding the play button. I'm very impressed.

10. milani macrumors 68000

milani

There are some iPhone apps that allow you to control various things. The Apple Remote will control iTunes and Apple TV, and I believe there is software that can control things like DVD players, but don't quote me on the latter. So if you have an iPhone you could use that as a universal remote, I suppose.

11. healimonster macrumors newbie

I am trying to use a universal remote to control my macbook pro to control boxee when it is hooked up to the tv....
    Any suggestions?