Universal Search and Home Sharing Computers

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by JonHimself, Sep 10, 2015.

1. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Hey!

Haven't come across an answer for this - will the universal search include content we share via Home Sharing? The screenshots I've seen show iTunes, Netflix, Hulu, etc as possible locations to watch content that the Siri search fines - I assume iTunes refers to the iTunes store.

I would love it if I could use Siri to play media I have on my computers.

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I wouldn't count on it.
    Siri likely relies on metadata and not filename, metadata that they have worked with Netflix, Hulu, HBONow and created an API around for implementing that your files would not have, or have but formatted differently.

3. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

Lets see if the tvOS api has searchkit (or whatever its called)... apps could then hook their metadata search contents into the system. I would imagine plex and other local content players would make use of this.

For movies on the local homesharing, I used an app that adds the metadata to video files so hopefully it all gets injected :)

4. JonHimself thread starter macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I too have all of the metadata up-to-date in iTunes but I think it will depend on how the integration works... will it be something that any app can present information and search will pick it up or will Apple have to approve apps that it allows to be included in the search?

Doesn't seem like there's a clear answer at this point... really looking forward to seeing how it works!

5. zinned macrumors regular

This is a total deal breaker for me. I need the local search, not only through the content providers. If the new Apple TV doesn't support this, then Apple missed an open goal.

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I also really hope the search is capable of looking at your Home Sharing content, I also keep all my metadata up to date there. Further, I hope apps like Amazon Prime, Plex, and Tablo can have their results show up in search.

At the moment, I'm a bit worried though. Home Sharing isn't even mentioned once on the new ATV website. Indeed, Home Sharing doesn't have any presence on the entire Apple website, other than in Support. That is troubling...

EDIT: Actually, I see Home Sharing mentioned once: http://www.apple.com/tv/specs/

"iTunes purchasing and renting and Home Sharing require iTunes Store account"

7. JonHimself thread starter macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I think they've been heading in this direction for a while. The local content has been made less prominent over time (as compared to the original Apple TV where putting 'your' iTunes content on the big screen was the main focus).
    I think the focus will trend even further to subscription services vs owning local content (like the music industry has). For people like me (and presumably yourself) it will always be an uphill battle of workarounds and missing out on features, unfortunately.

8. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I really want Universal Search to work for home sharing/local content...I don't think there's any technical reasons why it couldn't work, provided you have metadata filled in in iTunes, etc.

It's not necessarily a deal breaker for me (Netflix content is actually more important), but I really do want it- I came to the forums just to look for this feature. Let's see what Apple decides...