MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just under a week after Sony Pictures dropped the Aaron Sorkin-penned Steve Jobs movie, Universal Studios has picked it up, according to The Wrap. X-Men: First Class star Michael Fassbender is also now attached to star as Jobs.

universalstudios.jpg
Universal Pictures has picked up the Steve Jobs biopic less than a week after it was dropped by Sony, an individual with knowledge of the deal told TheWrap.
Sony suddenly dropped the film last Wednesday after it had developed it for two years. One report indicated the studio dropped the movie because of the shooting schedule. Director Danny Boyle wanted to start shooting in January 2015, when Fassbender would be available to shoot. Sony, however, wanted to shoot a little later, which would have clashed with Fassbender's schedule as he was set to shoot X-Men: Apocalypse.

Earlier this month, Christian Bale dropped out of the film despite Sorkin confirming his involvement. Fassbender stepped into the role shortly afterward and actors Jessica Chastain and Seth Rogen have recently emerged as potential cast members, with Rogen possibly playing Steve Wozniak.

The film is expected to follow Jobs during three stressful, high profile product launches, including NeXT, the debut of the Macintosh in 1984 and the iPod debut in 2001.

Article Link: Universal Studios Picks Up Aaron Sorkin's Steve Jobs Movie, Michael Fassbender to Star

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I'd much rather have an actual documentary detailing the history of Steve Jobs' life.

Comment

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
I believe there is plenty of room for a great film and unique take on Steve Jobs and am hopeful things come together well for this production from this point.

The recent indie very poorly conceived and executed and 'Pirates' is dated. There is promise and talent behind this project.

Comment

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
So, it seems anything goes in this movie. Sorkin's style sucks big time... this Fassbender guy looks nothing like Steve Jobs... part of the story will be Jobs douchiness when he refused his daughter...

Wow... the greed for making some extra bucks from his early death is toppling any common sense.

Comment

Vodka

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Prepare yourself for the overacting hollywood story of a simple man...

Comment

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
So, it seems anything goes in this movie. Sorkin's style sucks big time... this Fassbender guy looks nothing like Steve Jobs... part of the story will be Jobs douchiness when he refused his daughter...

Wow... the greed for making some extra bucks from his early death is toppling any common sense.

Pretty sick right? These people are desperately trying so hard to capitalize off his death. When this movie flops I wonder who's next to receive their huge payday? Wasn't the last movie a complete embarrassment?

Comment

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Come on, guys

If you died and hundreds of thousands of people lined up at your stores, burned candles, and then a leading Hollywood writer, director and actors wanted to make a movie about you-- Well, I'd be flattered as hell.

The only immortality is in the minds of your survivors, and when the last survivor with a memory of you goes, it's over. As I spent my last few months of life, I'd like it if I had left something that that cast would be interested in. Of course, he was working with Walter Isaacson on the bio, so he cared about legacy, too.

If some brainless dodo like Mr. Kutcher plays you, pheh. They made it quick and early before they had time for a script.

You can't ever predict if a film will be good or bad. This should be worth watching, though.

Comment

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
The film is expected to follow Jobs during three stressful, high profile product launches, including NeXT, the debut of the Macintosh in 1984 and the iPod debut in 2001.

I just hope they would change the script and not only feature these 3 chapter in steve life's.

Comment

NY Guitarist

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011

Sorkin is an exceptional screenwriter. Fassbender has a resemblance to Jobs which Hollywood hair and makeup build upon to recreate Jobs (to a degree).

It won't be a summer blockbuster. so I'm not seeing the greed factor of which you speak being a huge part of the making of this movie.

Comment

minus.toes

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
Pretty sick right? These people are desperately trying so hard to capitalize off his death. When this movie flops I wonder who's next to receive their huge payday? Wasn't the last movie a complete embarrassment?

Every movie ever made about a person or tragic event is technically capitalizing on the person or event. Life goes on. If all profits were to go to the Jobs family, you'd be here complaining "the rich keep getting richer."

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
I've been a huge fan of Michale Fassbender for a while, I think he'll do a good job. For anyone who has seen 12 Years a Slave, you know he can bring a believable intensity to his characters, which I'm guessing will be an important part of the character we see on screen. When Ashton Kutcher got "mad" and "intense" it looked like an actor acting - we'll believe Michael. My only reservation is that he doesn't resemble Steve all that much, but as someone said that's nothing a little hair and makeup can't fix.

Comment

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
They really need to drop Rogen. He's just not an actor. Who has he played? He's played Seth Rogen. I just can't see him as Woz. You know who would be a great Woz? The guy who played Morgan on the series "Chuck", Joshua Gomez. He might have to gain a few, but I think he'd pull off a much better Woz than anything Rogen can deliver. I think he'd have a blast with the role.

Joshua Gomez
chuck-versus-the-cliffhanger-morgan-knows-kung-fu.jpg

Steve Wozniak
apple4_1004673b.jpg

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Seems like you maybe overlooking how movies work.

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

It's called making an interesting movie. Some movies can be better or worse than some other ones. What else is new there? How does one really affect the other necessarily?

Comment

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
"You're Producing it Wrong..."

I just hope they would change the script and not only feature these 3 chapter in steve life's.

What would be interesting: Shoot the entire production on several iPhones (including sound: Mics via an Apogee or a Focusrite interface on an iPad...), edit and post ENTIRELY in FCPX and LPX and export the up-res master via Compressor.

That I would pay to see.

Comment

BeamWalker

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
Fassbender as Jobs seems weird, Rogan as Wozniak is just a big Nono. I hope they reconsider.

Comment

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Whats with all the judging before the movie has even been made, let alone released??

Its not like you would judge a new iphone before it has been released, based upon sketchy rumors....? Oh wait a minute...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.