university class of 2007 thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by furcalchick, Apr 26, 2007.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

we're getting close to graduation for the class of 2007, at least in most universities in the us, and i thought this would be a nice place for the mr crowd to talk about some things that come with graduation.

btw, i graduated back near christmas time, one semester sooner than expected, but decided to spend a few months relaxing and getting to know chipper (my mac). i'm about ready to venture in the real world, but still wondering if i should stay in town (i currently live in the same area as my school), or leave and give a city like atlanta a try (and those that were in the where to live thread a while back, i saw atlanta as my best option for now, as i have some friends and family in the area, and it's not too far away from alot of my family). most of the students that stay here don't really get too far and eventually leave or stay in dead end jobs, and i think more students leave for greener pastures than stick around.

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I'm graduating this semester. I've got a job lined up that seems like it will be great, but of course I'll have to wait and see after I've actually started working there. It is a full time job in my chosen field (Electrical Engineering) and I'll be working on stuff that is really cool, and it's a 5 minute drive away from where I live, so I really have nothing to complain about. I'm glad to be done with school, but I'll miss the student discounts (I won't miss being poor though).

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Yay, I'm graduating too! From grad school, though. No job lined up yet, but desperately searching.

5. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

Finished my last exam a week ago. Bring the ennui.

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Completely off topic, but ennui was an answer in the Monday NYT crossword puzzle. I love crossword puzzles. I even remember it being the answer to 3 down.

I have another 2 or 2.5 years to go for my BA. Since I get 75% off tution (my dad works at my Uni) I'm just going to go straight into grad school. Nothing beats $600 tuition. I'm going to milk that as long as I can. I think I no longer get the discount when I am 27, so I need to hurry through school on the cheap. (That's my pathetic attempt at trying to keep my post somehwat on topic.)

7. jng macrumors 65816

jng

I actually have my last final (that counts) today and graduation in a few weeks. No solid job on the plate yet, but things are starting to fall into place and I'm probably going to end up in finance and technology.

I want to do business school, but not now. I'm tired of school (burnt out). I want to work, make some money, and have some fun.

Someone on topic, I feel like this board doesn't have too many university students in the sense that I always feel outnumbered by the less than 18 people on this board. Anyone else feel the same?

8. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

thought more people would be on this thread....oh well.

i do have a question though. currently, where i live, jobs pay just 12 bucks an hour to start. my parents think i should just go to grad school, while i convince them it's the terrible wages being in south florida in general (i've seen ads for the same positions in cali being double at least), while cost of living is super high, and where i live, expect gas prices to make up 10-15 bucks a day. i'm looking to leave to atlanta where wages will likely be higher, with none of this new york level cost of living. suggestions?

9. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'm graduating too :D but going back for more study

10. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Agreed, I thought there would be more people on this thread. I think this board has a lot of <18 or something.

I agree: don't go to grad school - yet. It's a huge investment and it's better to work for a few years and be sure you want to do it before you invest. I'm doing the same. I plan on working for about 2 years before applying to business school. And actually I'll be a much more attractive prospective employee with both an MBA and experience. I'm sure this translates into other fields too.

Moving depends on what kind of job you have. If your industry is more vibrant in Atlanta go for it. But I would maybe try to find a job before moving. If you want to move first, save up and then go. At least then you don't have to worry about your first few months rent.

A friend of mine did tha and moved to NYC and found a job within a few months. Meanwhile she lived on her savings and waitressing/bartending.

11. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

well, i'm in a lose-lose situation right now. i have little cash to move out, and i can't take a job here, because it would require a car and long commutes (yes, even the mcjobs), something i will be lacking for at least a few more months, plus student loans are coming in soon. so i'm pretty much stuck with no way out right now.

and trust me, getting a good paying job in atlanta is much easier here than south florida, where alot of grad work is 10 bucks an hour, and very far away (i'm talking hour+ commute each way).

and grad school in biology i heard was the worst ever, and thinking about it gave me high stress and worry. if i do go, it will be for the ms, and it won't be for a few years. i'm just sick and tired of school right now and want to do the real world thing for a while.

12. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Getting my Masters in Teaching this Saturday. I'm already teaching, so it just means a couple thousand bucks raise for me next year. :)

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

If I had stayed with my original major and school, I would be graduating at the end of the summer. Now, I've got at least two more years ahead of me. Maybe I'll have tenure by then...

14. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Most people get a grace period of 6 months or so with student loans, unless you consolidated to lock in at a lower rate (which I did).

It sounds like you made up your mind and you want to move. So go for it. We're all young, now is the time to do stuff like this :) Start looking for jobs in Atlanta and maybe you can have an interview lined up soon and speed up the process.

15. Lunja macrumors 6502

Lunja

Go class of '07!

I'm graduating in September and have just got back from spending 2.5hrs in a queue for tickets to the grad ball!

Time to start making the decisions that count- hunt for a job, move cities, set up a business... Tough times!

16. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

my six months is more like six weeks now, so time is getting short, but my parents said they will cover for me for a little bit as long as i pay them back.

17. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I graduated with my BS last Friday in Digital Media. Luckily I already have a job in that field and I am going to keep working with them.

18. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

saw my friends graduate...and it was kinda depressing knowing that this was the last time i was going to see most of them for a long time, and that our college days are over. very depressing.

but with that out of the way (and many of my classmates getting out of palm beach due to lack of decent paying jobs), i think it's really time for me to move on.

i'm still debating over whether to tough it out here in palm beach, facing 2+ hour commutes, low wages (as in 10-12 bucks an hour low), an isolated life in the middle of nowhere, rising gas prices and cost of living and pretty much pretty boring. or i can move to atlanta, where crime is a bit high in the city, but i can ditch a car (if i live in the right part of town), better job prospects, possibly have a life instead of being in an iso box.

with a biology degree here, the only options are really going to grad school at the mediocre fau an hour away and waste more time and money and stress, or move. there's not much in the way of jobs in palm beach county. anyone care to give me some facts to back that up please?

i'm currently leaning towards atlanta, but i'm taking one last look at why i should seriously think about staying here and get a job here, because it's not looking very good at all.