University discount + Tax free

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shiunn, Jun 4, 2008.

1. shiunn macrumors 6502

Hi ppl,
    I'm an international student in the UK. I'm not particularly thinking of getting a mac anytime soon, but the thought of it is just fun to entertain. So here's my question. I'm leaving the country for a while for the summer break. So, is it possible to get both university discount and claim my tax back somehow from the airport? (or is it possible to buy tax-free in the first place?)

thanks!

2. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

Coming from an authorized Apple reseller:

The only way to get the Student Discount and no sales tax (at least here in the states) would be to find an Apple Store in a Duty-Free location. If you can find an Apple Store in an Airport, that'd be the coolest Airport ever! Since a reseller is buying for the same price you'd buy with a university discount, I'm almost 100% sure that no one will honor that discount because they definitely wouldn't make any money/might actually lose some.

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Creepy, i was just thinking of posting a thread with a similar question except i was thinking about Tax-Free purchase in general without the student discount. Afterall 17.5% is nothing to sneeze at.

So is it possible to pick up a mac at heathrow tax-free whilst flying out for vacation?

4. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Yes, but all the shops are in the international area, to leave and go home, you have to declare anything, otherwise you are breaking the law.

If you had a suitable used laptop bag, and suitcase big enough for the box, you could slip through, as the box would raise Q's when scanned, and the MBP will look as if you already had it

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yep, or an iPod. Best to call them to ensure they have what you want, they normally only stock laptops. You can get phone numbers etc from here.

And at Heathrow and Gatwick at least, you can use these stores even if you are flying in the UK or Europe: I've done it.

6. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

so far, everyone has talked about paying tax free, which is interesting. a lot of ideas and thoughts out there. but, is there a way to buy with tax, and claim it afterwards? how does one go about that?

7. Dachande663 macrumors newbie

I was looking at this recently as I'm now doing freelance contract work, however in the end I decided it was too much hassle.

To claim back the VAT (the only way to get the deduction) you have to register for VAT. This means that you must add VAT to all invoices, keep all financial records for 6 years and, more importantly, must submit additional paperwork of which there is a lot. Finally, if you don't file on time you get fined which can easily wipe out any benefit. If you have an accountant to do this for you it's all fine, but the cost difference is obliterated.

So overall, if you earn close to or over £64,000 (the threshold for mandatory VAT registration) it's worth it if you employee an accountant to keep a track of your books. If you're just looking to get a computer slightly cheaper it's not even worth thinking about.

Hope that helps.

8. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

as far as the states, cant one buy tax-free in new hampshire?

9. f1 macrumors 6502

Technically you also need to be a college or university student at an acredited American college as well, however some apple stores are more lenient