University Language Courses

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Jun 8, 2012.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Here's my dilemma.

I want to minor in German, but have never taken a German course.

The thing is, I am terrible at learning languages from my experiences. In High School spanish, I was one of the worst in the class although I tried my best. Languages just isn't something I'm good at.

How are University language courses, in general? Are they difficult? Do they expect you to have taken it in High School?

2. 184550 Guest

I would not advise minoring in a foreign language unless you were proficient in it in high school. If you suffered through a foreign language in high school, you will suffer through it in college.

Usually minoring or majoring in a language will require that you to demonstrate proficiency in the language on a written and verbal level to receive the major or minor. However, YMMV depending upon which school you attend.

3. malman89 macrumors 68000

German is the easiest language ever (imo). At least for the basics. Then the grammar can take some work. I bet your school requires a foreign language requirement at least (mine was a 102/2 course or test out), so might as well try 101 and see how it goes if you haven't satisfied that yet.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

why would you want to minor in something you know you're terrible at? :confused:

5. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Because I want to learn German, it's a culture and country I respect and would go along well with my major.

6. malman89 macrumors 68000

Also to this part - 101s are just like a (good) high school class. They expect zero working prior knowledge. 102s+ depends on the language and your school (for my school Italian 102 was a refresh of 101, with like one new grammar thing; German 102 was pure new stuff).

I took German I in 8th grade and German 3 (skipped 2 since it was mostly redundant) in 9th. I didn't take German again until my Senior year in college (wanted a 2nd language, credit filling, easy A). Didn't learn anything new. Auto-A.