University - MBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by conch575, Jan 5, 2011.

1. conch575 macrumors 6502

conch575

Hi Everyone,

I'm starting University in February (how exciting) and I want to upgrade my 2008 MacBook white with a MacBook Pro. I had my heart set on the mid range (with the upgrade of the screen to HD), but everyone is telling me to go for the higher end one. Money isn't really an issue since I work at the Apple Store and get my discount, but I'm just wondering if I really need all that power.

I want the technology to last a while (probably for about ~5 years), but I won't be doing that much with it to warrant the high end one.
    Also, I know everyone is asking the same question, but, should I wait for the new models? I can really push getting the new MBP until April (since I have one already..

I'm really confused as to what is the best option for me.

So thanks in advance for anyone who can help :D

By the way I am doing a Media and Communications degree and using it for general use like email, internet etc., so nothing that's going to be too heavy on the system.

2. DudeMartin macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Definitely wait. The second generation Intel chips (Sandy Bridge) are supposed to be very powerful and come with a graphics unit that's perfect for the average user. Also, the new chips cost less, so Apple might add in something cool. Also, the chips are really power efficient, so you will likely be able to browse for even longer wirelessly.

Definitely wait, in my opinion.

Also, it's predicted that the new models will coincidentally arrive in February! :)

3. un.titled macrumors regular

I guess I don't understand what your question is.

4. seek3r, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011

seek3r macrumors 6502

Sounds like you answered your own question... From what your workload sounds like go for the mid-range system after the next update.

Even if you're going to be using FCP or heavy use of CS for your degree chances are that if you need it for a class the Uni will have resources for that, and chances are they'll be iMacs and/or MPs with more horsepower than a top-o-the-line MBP anyway. A mid-range machine would probably be fine and you can save the cash for beer money :).

Of course if money's not an object go for the best!

That said, and I hate to come off like an ass here, if you work at the Apple store, that means that the "everyone" telling to to unconditionally buy the high end machine are probably your colleagues, who also presumably make recommendations to customers ::shudder::

5. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Not trying to be rude here, but I'm a bit curious to how much your discount is when working at the Apple store.

6. Windows macrumors member

Windows

+1

7. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I read somewhere that the discount is like 10% off everything always. Once a year 25% off a "complete system." Twice a year 15% off for friends/family for a "complete system." I'm not exactly sure on the specifics of the "complete system" but I'm guessing you're basically limited to a computer a year at 25% off which is pretty darn good.

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I'd get the 13 as it is more mobile than the 15; it may not seem like it, but if you are biking, running, walking numerous miles to and from class as I have (and still do when my disability permits), you are going to appreciate the size and weight difference. Also, many college seats in lecture halls cram you in like a sardine and have the world's smallest desk; I've found the 12-13 inch laptops make like easier when you are their. Just be sure to get a good case and maybe even a SSD, as college computers will get used heavily and will likely, at some point in time, be subjected to vibration/shock.

Since you can wait, wait on the next 13 (and any model) coming out. The current C2D will work fine for you (it has and will continue to for me), but since you aren't in any hurry, the new 13 may be even a better suit for you, and the new 13 may close the gap between the C2D of the 13 versus the i7 of the 15. Also, there could be other revisions to the coming MBP that are even more useful for you than an upgraded processor (ex: HDMI, Blu Ray, faster RAM, better sound/sound OP, better screen, even better durability, standard flash memory, etc). Finally, it won't hurt to save a couple hundred bucks or more as the 13 is a bit cheaper.

9. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I would wait until you're a few weeks into the course when you can figure out what kind of apps you will be using for the duration of the course.

10. conch575 thread starter macrumors 6502

conch575

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm thinking I might wait, I think it's just the thrill of working for Apple making me want to buy nice, new, shiny MBP's.

Yeah the previous poster was right about the discounts. 25% off a MacBook/Pro or iMac (one a year) but no discounts off portables (iPhones :()

11. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

25% :eek:, That's amazing. Good luck on your decision.