All iPads University Options

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TaylorWright619, Mar 7, 2013.

1. TaylorWright619 macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good setup since I am just beginning Uni again. I am studying a Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary) / Bachelor of Science.

Currently I have a 15" 2012 rMBP, an iPhone 5, iPad 32GB (1st Gen) and a 21" iMac which is hooked up to my 32" TV (the iMac is only used to watch movies on etc).

I have been taking my rMBP to Uni for a few days, and while it is obviously fantastic at a lot of stuff, when it's in it's case in my bag, it takes up most of the room, it isn't particularly light when you have to carry it for 6 hours, and the size is probably too big for the university desks.

I took my iPad today which can no longer be updated. The iPad is reasonably slow, but seems to work ok.

I was considering buying an iPad Mini - it sounds great - good battery life, small, light and thin. But when looking into this deeper, it wouldn't be very practical to do a full assignment on (as far as I am aware). I am doing a lot of extra work like assignments at uni in the mornings before I start class. A further downside to the Mini is the non Retina screen. I love the Retina screen on my rMBP and iPhone 5.

It seems like there a few really cool science apps for the iPad that would be beneficial to buy.

So basically what I am wondering is, what would be the best option/setup to take to uni?

2. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Please....

dont take offense , just being clear about me not mocking you, but, have you considered an used Macbook Air?

Just my 2 cents/thoughts in these idle hours of the morning....

:):apple:

3. TaylorWright619, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

TaylorWright619 thread starter macrumors member

No offence taken!

I did think about an 11" Macbook Air. The problem is, then I would have 2 laptops. The Macbook Air would be useless if I was not at uni since I have my rMBP as well.

And also, Macbook Airs are more then double the cost of an iPad..

4. Zav macrumors member

OP has a rMBP, why would he wish to by a MBA? I've never understood and never will understand people who have MBP AND MBA? It's just pretty silly really IMO.

I think an iPad update would be ideal for you. You're blessed with two forms of portability then. Your MBP could be taken for when you're doing really intensive stuff and the iPad for when you're not. I use my iPad everyday for University, note taking, PDF editing, Power points, you name it. Granted, I've never wrote a full essay on it, but I have my iMac back in my dorm for that. And if you really needed to, you could easily link a portable keyboard like the Brydge to it.

I find it hard to recommend the Mini for Uni work however. Some people use it and are perfectly happy with it. For me, the full size iPad just seems more productive. The smaller keyboard on the Mini was just a big no-no for me. And reading A4 PDF's would be like reading an ants t shirt.

You'll find yourself using your MBP less and less, the lightness and extra portability that comes with the iPad, plus the amazing battery life, is second to none.

5. TaylorWright619 thread starter macrumors member

Hi Zav, thanks for your reply.

The problem is, I don't live on campus, but have to commute 30 mins in morning traffic, and about 20 mins on the way home.

At my university, it is extremely difficult to get parking after 9am. Most days I start at 11am, so I have been getting there at 9 just for parking. So basically because of the travelling, I plan to be doing assignments/studying every morning, meaning I would have to take the rMBP and iPad...

I was planning on the Mini because of the portability/design. The iPad 4 is still heavy and will be getting an overhaul next update? It is more expensive. I know the Mini does not have Retina (which is a downside for me because I love Retina) but I would be probably willing to upgrade when Retina comes out. Which makes me unsure on the time to buy...

6. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Well....

two key considerations about the advice on the Air:

-Weight: The OP have an issue with bulk/weight
    -Viable computing: The OP have a need to assigments to be done. No possible for the OP to get way with the iPad option

Yes. I am aware about the OP having another MacBook. And yes, the Air still is a big chunk of cash to shell out. But the OP can try to sell the iPad and using the money towards an Air......iMHO

:):apple:

7. TaylorWright619 thread starter macrumors member

Problem with this is, then I would have 2 laptops. One would exclusively be for university, which only goes for 26 weeks a year pretty much. Yeh, I might use the air on other occasions, but I would still take the rMBP.

It's not like the rMBP is a massive weight concern now, but I don't want to carry extra weight for 6 hours if I don't have to obviously. Taking up pretty much all my room in my bag can become a bit of an issue though.

I was thinking about a Mini with one of those keyboard things... but how practical is this?

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Are you actually carrying the rMBP for 6 hours?:p Personally, I'd keep what you already have and get a different bag that has more room.

9. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Plug the rMBP into your TV at home for movies, etc. Use the iMac as a desktop, and MBA at school?

10. shiekh macrumors member

I agree with above, use a bigger bag; problem solved.

11. jojoba macrumors 68000

That's a very personal issue. I've seen many people on these forums saying they are reading research articles and taking notes on a mini. Personally, I think it's too small and won't give up on the retina screen. Maybe you should go to an Apple store and have them open a few research articles on a mini and see what you think of that.

If you're in humanities and only dealing with text, you could do most of your assignment writing on an iPad (e.g. using Pages) with an external keyboard (I'd never write for a long time on my iPad without an external keyboard, again people's preferences vary), and just format the paper (meaning, add and format reference lists) at home on your MBP. If you need to upload your assignments to some kind of uni learning platform, you might be unable to do that from your iPad. But for everyday reading and note taking, an iPad will get you very far.

12. TaylorWright619 thread starter macrumors member

I have to carry around some large textbooks as well, so even if I get a bigger bag, it's more weight, and still probably not enough space.

I don't have a big enough desk in my room to use the t.v and iMac concurrently. And I think hooking up my rMBP to a tv would be a waste of having a rMBP?