University student - First mac - Which one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Theteapartyvip, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Theteapartyvip macrumors newbie

I've finally saved up the money to be able to leave my dell behind. The problem is, i don't know which mac to get. I'm studying film production and it needs to be able to run Adobe CS5 without any complaints. I also need it for storing music, watching movies/dvds and obviously word processing. Hereinlies my dilemna - Should i get an imac or a macbook pro. I would rarely be moving it from my room, as i prefer taking notes by hand and i can use the computers at uni.
    I have been considering a Macbook pro 13" 2.66ghz
    OR
    an Imac 21.5 inch (either)
    Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Go Imac - more ram, faster disc, better graphics card and larger screen.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Go with 2.4GHz 13" MBP. Portability is always needed in uni. Get a nice external monitor so you won't run out of screen estate when editing

4. advres Guest

advres

Film production? Well are you planning on editing or something else? Because if you are editing you will quickly want to shove ball-point pens in your eyes editing on a 13" screen.

5. Theteapartyvip thread starter macrumors newbie

As i said, portability is not an issue as i don't use my laptop for taking notes.

This is what i thought, which is why i'm leaning more towards the desktop.

6. advres Guest

advres

As someone who stares at a screen editing all day I would highly recommend the bigger screen. When I have to edit on my 15" mbp I can't stand it. 13" would be horrible.

7. srharris22 macrumors member

iMac + iPad

My newbie advice would be to buy the iMac + iPad. If you had a laptop before you will not want to be tied to your desk for recreational web surfing, email etc. Depending on which mbp you were looking at, the imac + iPad will be about the same price.

8. Theteapartyvip thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay well i'm definitely convinced to the larger screen, i just have no idea which one to get.

9. Theteapartyvip thread starter macrumors newbie

I love in australia so the ipad is pretty much out of the question for me (too expensive i did think of that though XD). And due to back problems i use the laptop at a desk anyway so that won't really bother me.

10. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

My vote goes for the refurbished 27" i7 iMac, for $1700. You can upgrade it later to 16GB of RAM for about $400 (minus the old RAM you sell on eBay), this will be fine for CS5 and even Final Cut.

You already have an iPhone 4, use a bluetooth keyboard with it instead of an iPad.

11. Theteapartyvip thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish i could buy that! That computer would be perfect! Sadly i live in australia :( so i can't have it, bu ti will definitely look into the refurbs on the australian site! Thanks for the idea. And brilliant tip about the iphone... never even thought of that! :)

12. Vampedamp macrumors newbie

Core i5/7 15" MBP

I was in a similar position 3 years ago, (although I was running mostly chem/bio apps and DV/Photoshoping was a job not major.) I went for the fastest portable mac I could afford, with the nicest screen I could afford: the 15" MBP Matte Display, and I haven't regretted it once.

Eventually I added an inexpensive ($~180) Dell S-Ips display (2209WA) which has worked wonderfully for editing and as additional real estate, and a FW 800 External (which I built very easily from an enclosure and drive, ~$140, probably less now) and some portable, bus-powered 500GB 2.5" FW400 drives for field work. So basically I have a 3TB 20"+15" setup that is completely mobile and that has multiple HDDs for data redundancy (My photos are routinely backed up on at least 2 externals plus a lower-quality web-sync, i.e. Picasa).

So, as a student, I would spring for the best Macbook you can afford right now, and then build your setup, adding new, highquality components when you can afford them and as you need them.

I wouldn't get a desktop, though, since I have found numerous uses for my Macbook out in the field, (class notes, last minute papers, international trips, mobile video recording/editing/field monitor, VOIP, ect.)

Personally, I don't like the new Imacs, as their display is too glossy and glare-prone for true color representation and extended work (not to flame, this is obviously my opinion, having originally edited on Sony Tritons back in the late 90's, and Dell IPS displays since) and they are bulky, and not as upgradable as, say a used Mac Pro, which would be the only other thing I would consider for semi-pro work (since you could hook up 2 20"+ displays).

So my vote: 15" iCore7 Macbook Pro Matte if you can afford it. H3ll, 17" Macbook Pro i7 Matte if you have enough $$. (I'm guessing, from my grad student perspective, no!)

Good luck on your studies!!

13. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the electricity situation over there? I am assuming this is what you meant by not being able to get the rerufb'd iMac.

14. Branskins macrumors 65816

I love my 13" MBP I got for school last year! If you need screen real estate, what about buying an external monitor? Sometimes it is really nice to be able to take the laptop around campus when your room isn't very quiet, or if you need to meet up with other people to work on a project.

The portability of a laptop comes in handy when you really need it. However, I guess if you never need to move around with it, a desktop might be good, but you never know when you need to do those group projects, or when you want to go to the library where it is quiet.

15. sochet macrumors regular

sochet

It's 240v (The same as the UK) I think he was talking about shipping it there, even if he could he'd hit import duty/sales tax. It makes more sense to buy from Oz.

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This would be a great option.

For editing anything an external is a must. I had to use Maya for a week on a 15 inch screen and it was miserable. *Hugs 24 inch screens*