University student looking for a quick job?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Reach9, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Well university will be starting soon, and as a student I have lots to worry about, monetary wise. So i'm looking for a way to make some quick money.

As many people on this forum, i'm very interested in tech, and very competent. I'm a business major in university, and thinking about working in retail specializing in tech/electronics. I'm looking at my local BestBuy or Apple store. Has anyone worked in these two retail stores before? Any info would be appreciated. Do you guys think it would be a good place to work part-time during the week? I want to continue this over my school year.

2. 184550 Guest

I was stood up twice for two different jobs at Best Buy (in November 2010 and April 2011). In my experience, if you apply to Best Buy, be prepared to jump through hoops and for an interview process that has no readily apparent rhyme or reason.

EDIT:

Does your school have something similar to this?

I participated in more or less weekly experiments my junior and senior year and 'made' roughly $40 or $50 a week. Certainly good enough for beer money.

3. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

Honestly, I'd try finding a job as a student worker. Although it may pay less than a standard retail job, it's still a great way to work while attending college. It does depend on the school, but you should be able to find IT related positions at your college.

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Wait tables somewhere. Take cash home every night, you can usually pick your hours and you get an experience I think everyone should have at some point in their life.

5. csjo00 macrumors regular

I applied at BestBuy. Called many many many times about an interview; never got a response.

I applied at Office retail stores i.e. Staples and Office Depot. Same thing happened.

Got a job at Sam's Club. And so far they've been pretty awesome. They're working around my school schedule, and I'm guaranteed 25 hours a week at $8.40 an hour. Not bad..

As for the suggestion of waiting tables, people are jerks. If you do one thing wrong, you won't get a tip. And I don't want to gamble on my pay by one tiny mistake of not filling a person's drink up quickly enough.

6. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

When I was in college, I worked in the computer lab and the IT department as a student worker.

7. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Look for a job within the university, most of the jobs aren't that time consuming so you can do other stuff as well while on the job and they can fit your work schedule around your class schedule, very nice.

As for retail electronics, from what I heard (close and distant sources) it can be quite competitive and demanding (not sure if the Apple store is as bad). Not something I would like to do while studying.

As other mentioned, waiting tables can be quite lucrative, hours suck though.

8. avflinsch macrumors member

My daughter does this, picks up $10-$50 per experiment. Most of them are in the psychology or communications/media sciences departments. Usually about 30 minutes to an hours work.

Best bet - get a job on campus, they will work around your class schedule. Best if you can get something within your majors department - this way they get to know you better.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

This^^

When I was an undergraduate, I worked in the High Energy Physics Lab, also did terrible s***work for a Grad student.

In the physics lab, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing - I just did what they told me. :confused:

As mentioned in another post, on-campus work for one of the Dept.'s is convenient and you can work your hours (usually) around your needs.

I also shot pool for money and played gin. Better than working!

10. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I sold computers at Best Buy for 2 years.

One word: Brutal.

There are now so many services and accessories they expect you to sell on every purchase. They expect you to turn a $400 laptop purchase into a $1200 purchase...

I would recommend (like many others) finding a job on campus. A campus job will be much more flexible with your schedule.

11. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

everyone i knew in college whom had an on-campus job could usually study while getting paid, or hang with their friends, etc..seems like a homerun.

12. d0ster macrumors regular

Back when I went to school, the work study (student worker) program was tax free. Not sure if it is now but that would be a best bet for you if it still is.

13. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I don't think it was necessary tax free, but most student workers don't make enough to have taxes taken out.

14. d0ster macrumors regular

It's all coming back to me lol. Thank you for the flashback and the correction. 20 hours a week, $10/hour, $200 check straight up homeboy.