Unix book suggestions?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DUMBDOG, Dec 15, 2008.

1. DUMBDOG macrumors newbie

I want to get more familiar with the Unix operating system and the command-line. I want to learn how to unlock power that lies within Mac OS X via Unix. Are there any good books that are recommended? I am a CS student at my University so I have a decent knowledge of Programming, but nothing that has to do with Unix. What should I start out with? Thanks for the help.

2. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Learning the UNIX Operating System, UNIX for Dummies (really), The Art of UNIX Programming, Unix in a Nutshell.

3. iGrant macrumors 6502a

iGrant

I am looking up the books I used, but I can tell you this that I am in terminal all the time and I love it. I have the easy of use and beauty of the Mac OS and then I have the power of unix at my finger tips. There is nothing better. I will update this post once I have found the link to the book!!!

Learning Unix for Mac OS X Tiger Granted its for Tiger but still its very helpful and it is for the Mac OS.

-iGrant

4. stomer macrumors 6502a

I'd highly recommend O'Reilly's Classic Shell Scripting.

5. DUMBDOG thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies and the suggestions. I already Learning unix for Mac OS X tiger so I think I am goin to re-read that (as its been awhile since I last read it) and then pick up one of the books you guys have suggested. Thanks.

6. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

What year are you in? UNIX was one of the first things any CS student I've ever known had to become accustomed to... including three of my closest friends. I'm was never a CS student, but I thought in depth knowledge of UNIX was pretty much a mandatory environment that has to be learned first year?

I guess each uni could be different.