Unix Exe File???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brewcrewster, Apr 25, 2007.

1. brewcrewster macrumors newbie

i have a piece of audio, the type seems to be a "unix executable file" although i can open the audio in windows media player, i would love to be able to convert it for itunes.

i cant seem to open it in garage band, itunes, or quicktime only windows media player

i use an iMac G5

any help is much appreciated!!

thanks

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Some .exe files can be converted to .zip and opened with the Apple BomArchiveHelper [whatever the hell that means] or Stuffit Expander. It doesn't always work but from what I've heard .exe's are just self executable .zip files.

If it's possible it should be just as simple as changing the extension from .exe to .zip and then trying to open it. If it doesn't, then just switch it back.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

What is the file extension, go to the file Cmd+I or Ctrl+click and get info.

In the name & Extension box should have something like filename.wma or filename.wmv (based on what you said about it being able to play in windows media player.)

4. brewcrewster thread starter macrumors newbie

i actually just changed the extension to .wmp (windows media player), at which point i was able to change the extension to .wmp, but only after changing it to wmp...

huh

thanks alot for the quick responses, im glad i finally figured this one out!

5. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I was way off! =P Learn something new every day.

6. brewcrewster thread starter macrumors newbie

Ps:

my buddy also told me that the program: EasyWMA does the trick

i downloaded it and it was a jiffy to just convert and batch convert.

awesome!