Unix Executable File

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by purpleinnej, Aug 15, 2013.

1. purpleinnej macrumors member

I let a Windows guy do some work backing up a dying hard drive for me. Big mistake. All the backup files show up as "zero bytes" and "Unix Executable File"s. Any chance of recovering (most importantly) my iPhoto library? I can see it, but can't open it as-is. And am frankly really scared to try to add a file extension (.photo, right?) for fear of completely rendering it unusable.

2. purpleinnej thread starter macrumors member

Here is a screen shot of the finder window

Attached Files:

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Those are not files, they are either directories (folders) or directory icons that the OS no longer represents as icons. What happens when you double-click them?

4. purpleinnej thread starter macrumors member

I get a terminal window that says:

Last login: Thu Aug 15 21:08:00 on ttys000
    Jennis-Mac:~ jenni1$ /Volumes/Jenni\'s\ small\ silver\ 1tb\ backup/Backups.backupdb/Jenni\'s\ Mac/2013-05-10-184757/Macintosh\ HD/Users/Jenni/Pictures ; exit;
    logout

[Process completed]

Also, the Library.iPhoto and Library6.iPhoto files are small. 22 bytes, and 12 bytes respectively. I can't get them to open (double clicking opens iPhoto but it never fully opens, just get a spinning beach ball which makes me think maybe it needs rebuilt?). Good news is I can see the "Modified" folder which does contain actual .jpg images. So the pics are all there somewhere... now it's just a matter of trying to get the library back with events, tags, titles, and edits.