Unix people - I need you!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by motulist, Sep 4, 2010.

1. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I need to know how to make a symbolic link (i.e make an alias) to a folder.

I turned on OS X's web sharing feature. In the finder I made an alias to the folder I want to serve up on the web. I moved that Finder-made alias into my Sites folder.

Then I go to safari and type in the IP address to my public web page. In the browser window it shows the list of files that are in my Sites folder, including the finder-made alias of my desired folder. But when I click on the name of that finder-made alias within the browser window, it just loads up a blank web page (instead of showing me a list of the files within that folder).

The Unix / Apache system of OS X's web sharing seems to treat the Finder-made alias as if it's a file to be loaded, instead of as a symbolic link to the actual folder I created an alias to. So how do I make an alias to a folder that's readable by Unix / Apache?

When I drag and drop the folders onto the terminal window, here's the directory path it shows for the "Sites" folder that OS X's web server runs from:

Code:

/Users/xxxxxx/Sites/

And here's where my desired folder is on my connected external hard drive:

Code:

/Volumes/biggie/albums

So exactly what should I type into the terminal to make a symbolic link (alias) in my "Sites" folder that when clicked on in a web browser will load up a new web page that lists the files within my desired folder?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Check out the ln command (starts with lowercase L). Type in "man ln" for more details on the command.