unjailbreak before AppleCare

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Tex-Twil, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    I'm planning to bring my 3GS to AppleCare befcause I have a lot of dirt under the glass. My iPhone is jailbroken and I guess I'd better remove the jailbreak before giving it to apple.

The question is .. how to do that ? I currently have 3.1.2 with baseband 04.26.08.

How can I restore the phone so that I can rejailbreak to the same version once I get it back ?

cheers,
    Tex

2. FoxMcWeezer macrumors regular

Make sure you have the 3.1.2 firmware ipsw file downloaded to your computer. In iTunes with your iPhone connected, hold shift while clicking on Restore. Browse to find the 3.1.2 ipsw. Restore.

When you want to JB again, download blackra1n RC3 from http://blackra1n.com/

3. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Yeah but the 3.1.2 from Apple contains a newer baseband, doesn't it ? So if I use the original 3.1.2 I will update my baseband which I don't want.

Tex

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

5. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Do not do this. OP you are correct, this will update your baseband and you WILL NOT be able to downgrade it. You can downgrade the firmware as mentioned above, but not the baseband. If you need to keep the lower baseband for unlock purposes, DO NOT used the Apple firmware upgrade. YOU WILL LOSE IT!!!!

I can only hope you see this message before you do what others have said for you to do.

If all you care about it the jailbreak however, than doing what was suggested above is fine and will work as long as your SHSH is on file and you point your security check to Cydia servers rather than Apple's servers.

6. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

I would also add, that if all you are looking to do is get the glass/screen replaced for dirt/dust, then don't even bother with switching it all to an unjailbroken state. Just hide the evidence of the jailbrake using Poof, making the phone look like it is not jailbroken. Most likely, the Genius will not plug the phone into the software that tells then data about your phone. There would be no reason for them to do this as you are only complaining about a dust issue. All they have to do is look at the phone, then will take it into the back and have the screen swapped out for you. End of story. ;)

7. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

I might be wrong here but they aren't going to "fix" his 3GS...they are most likely to swap it out

8. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Agreed, that's all they've ever done for my friend who replaced his for dust, he lost his jailbreak and everything.

Good luck OP, hopefully they can just replace the glass!

9. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

It depends on the Apple store. I have 3 around me. Some do replace the glass and others will just swap it out for a new phone. I would suggest the OP call the store first and ask them what they do for just under the screen. Hopefully they will just replace the glass.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're taking a risk of getting a new iphone with new firmware and baseband thus not be able to JB it.
    Try some compressed air to get rid of the dust in your phone.

11. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Yeah well this is the opposite of what I want to do :)

I might just ask if they can clean it without chaning the phone. If yes, I will just leave it switched off, if not well then I dont know.

Thanks for your answers

12. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

13. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

You could void your warranty doing that. It is safer just going into the apple store and have them do it for you. I had a replacement iPhone and it was still on 3.1.2 with the old baseband.

14. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I went to a local Apple reseller and they told me I have to go to my service provider (TMobile in Germany). I went to TMobile and they told me I have to send it somewhere. I'm kind of lazy to getting a package, going to the post office, paying for sending it, waiting, then going to the post office again to pick it up ...

If something goes wrong I also have an insurance for the iPhone. I think I'll give it a try :)

15. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

What was the firmare/baseband version that was originally installed on the 3GS ? If I just install this version I should be able to JB it again withtout problem. I think it was 3.0.1/04.26.08.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not as simple as you think.
    Itunes will not let you install any firmware you want on a 3GS. Just the latest 3.1.3 thats out unless you have your SHSH's saved for previous builds.
    Do some searching.

17. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

ok so I cannot oficially restore to 3.0

I backed up my certificates some months ago and I've just done it via Cydia and it now says "This device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS: 3.1.3" so I believe it's ok.

But if I give my iPhone to Apple Care it's likely that I get back another device @ 3.1.3 with the latest baseband. Would I be able to JB it ? (I do not need unlock).

Thanks,
    Tex

18. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I think I'm scre**d. If I get back a 3.1.3 I can't jailbreak anymore :(

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3.1.3 came out Feb 2 so you do not have any of previous certificates either locally or thru cydia.
    What that green SHSH file says that you can restore only to 3.1.3 thats it.
    And that cannot be JB for a 3GS at the moment.
    Also if you get your iphone replaced it might have 3.1.3 or you might get lucky and get one with 3.1.2
    Then you will be able to JB it. If it has 3.1.3 you will not and will just have to wait till a new JB is released in the future.

20. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

then I'm scre**d twice :(

But I did backed up the certificates manually just when the 3GS was released ... are they somehow usefull ?

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I did also but those are not really usefull since no JB tool uses them. You're talking about the IBSS and ibec files right?
    The ones that matter now is the SHSH's that are saved locally thru umbrella or thru cydia by pressing "make my life easier"

22. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Yes that what I have. Damn it .. so I cant even unjailbreak :mad:

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sucks.
    See if you can bring it in and try to hide all JB icons like cydia etc...
    And tell them you dont want to swap your iphone, you just want them to replace the screen cause of the dust and give it back to you.
    Not sure if it will work but worth a try.
    Tell them you dont have a backup of all your stuff on it at home cause your computer died or something so you dont want to replace it or restore it.

24. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

yeah I might try that.

So how can I uninstall everything that could be seen ? (I have all this icons hidden but this is not enough since they are easily visible in the spotlight search.)

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't think they will bother searching or digging in much.
    As long as you don't have any themes, background wallpers and custom icons you should be good.