Unjailbreak ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dwnss, Sep 14, 2010.

1. dwnss macrumors member

Hi, I know to unjailbreak your phone you have to do a complete restore, but I want all my text messages when I restore, how can I download and readd them? Everything else I can just add again

edit- if i click back up before the restore, and after the restore i choose that back up, will it have any jailbroken files with it.. or will everything be fine?

2. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

I can only guess that SSH'ing into your phone and backing up your Mobile.message app before restoring can help retrieve those messages. I'm not sure if I'm correct on this one but Ill just put it out there.

Thanks
    AE

3. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

You can back them up by copying this file

/private/var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db

But you need to be jailbroken to put that file back so that kind of defeats the purpose....

Restoring from a backup created while you were jailbroken will have traces of jailbreak files.

4. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

If you restore from a backup that was stored while your phone was jailbroken, you will have traces of the jailbreak files. I've had experience with this myself. I restored my iPhone and i still had a custom carrier name from Makeitmine even though it was not jailbroken. Normally, I do a DFU restore to make sure it completely erases the phone...

5. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

Just don´t unjailbreak, jb is the best thing :D

6. dwnss thread starter macrumors member

if I did a dfu restore and than backed up from a jailbroken back up will there be traces?

and how do i do a dfu restore?

7. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

If you don't want any traces of a jailbreak then you don't restore from a backup. Period.

8. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

+1

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

If you uninstall all jailbreak apps and customizations before you back up, nothing significant should be transferred by the restore process. But, really, why not just jailbreak after your restore and put your SMSes back on the phone? You wouldn't have to install anything else, and you could always uninstall Cydia after you were done. It's not like you'll be able to tell the difference.