unjailbreaking an iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crazy$hark, May 9, 2011.

1. crazy$hark macrumors regular

crazy$hark

I want to unjailbreak my iphone 4. I know that i can do that by just updating to the latest firmware, but are there any necessary steps i should take before doing that (for example uninstalling all the cydia apps)?

2. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

3. TaterToT macrumors 6502

Set it up as a new phone instead of restoring from backup to completely remove all traces of jailbreaking

4. crazy$hark thread starter macrumors regular

crazy$hark

what will happen if i restore it to backup?

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Like said above. It will still have some jailbreak tweaks still attached to the backup.

For example if you installed MakeItMine and changed your carrier name, synced your iPhone to that backup. Restored your iPhone, used that same backup, whatever you changed your carrier name to, it will still be there.

6. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

Restoring as new phone will make it stock like the day you got it from the store, right? No phonebook, no applications, no emails, text, etc, right? Or will it retain all of that personal info?

7. DLyman macrumors member

That is correct. It will be just like it was when you got it. No personal info is retained.

8. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I'd imagine you would only want to do that obviously if you were taking it in to apple for an issue but isn't it obvious that you are hiding something if you bring it in like that looking like a stock phone right out of the box with nothing on it?

What about if you just wanted to "un-jailbreak" and not have any lingering JB data left on the phone but you wanted to use it non JB. Obviously personal data needed so a backup would have to be used somehow, no? Elaborate?

Just using this as an FYI for other users and an FYI for myself if or when I want/need to do it.

Thanks guys

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

No need to do a restore if you have been syncing with your computer. Just re-sync with Outlook (or equivalent), sync music, apps etc. Should be simple enough. :cool:

10. Tapiwa macrumors member

I don't think so..
    I didn't jailbreak but I still wouldn't want to hand over my phone with all my personal data on it. I'd definitely wipe it clean first :)