Unjailbreaking? how to keep all my current data? sending my iPhone for exchange.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tongteh, Apr 13, 2010.

1. tongteh macrumors 6502

so i have jailbroke my iphone during last November, and now my iphone needs to be send in to apple for exchange. I know I need to restore it back to factory setting before sending it back.

Is there a way for me to restore all my iphone data to date that's already jail-broken? and what if i want to stop having it as jailbroken? I want to keep all my SMS, applications and etc to the latest backup(jailbreak backup), is that possible?

Right now my iphone is 3.1.2(jailbroken), I am just wondering what happens if i do an update it to 3.1.3(Apple)? Will my phone break or just proceed as an normal update?

Thanks for any help!

2. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

If you update to the stock iPhone 3.1.3 firmware, you will be non-jailbroken, even if you restore from a backup. If however, you use a "pwned" 3.1.3 firmware, you will be able to be jailbroken again. Just remember to use something like APT Backup from Cydia if you want to keep your jailbroken applications.

3. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

Say if i do the stock update to iPhone(3.1.3), will I have problems with residual data from winterboard, themes or other applications from cydia??

So my iPhone will generally be unjailbroken if i do a stock update to iPhone 3.1.3? at first I thought its gonna break my iPhone or something.. :p

Anyway. Right now, I just want to unjailbreak and update my iphone to 3.1.3 with all my latest application data, SMS and etc but at the same time i don't want my iPhone to have any leftover data from my jailbroken history..

If I just restore from factory, and restore from the latest backup(lastnight) would that do the job? Thanks for the response.

4. mreddys10 macrumors regular

Right-click on your phone in iTunes and select 'backup'. Once this is done, just update to 3.1.3 (this will wipe out ALL data completely).

Send your phone in for the exchange, and when they send you the new phone, you can just restore from that backup. None of the jailbroken data is stored on that backup.

5. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

If your getting your iPhone exchanged itwill most likely come with 3.1.3 and the SHSHS's for the new iPhone wont be saved with saurik so you will lose the jailbreak.

6. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Actually some of the data from your jailbreak will be left over, but it shouldn't effect the phone. I have only ever had it give me the battery percentage and toggle for the signal strength in a quantitative measurement.

7. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

so i guess i will just restore all data and settings to factory setting and then restore to the latest backup? that way i probably wont have any residual data, right? thanks all!!!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You dont have to restore from back up and send your phone in with all your info in it.
    Just restore it thru itunes and setup as new. Activate it with your simcard and then stick it in the box and send it out.

9. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

This. You don't need to have it with your info, restore it to a stock Apple firmware and set as new.

With that said, I would do the following if you want the most stuff restored on the new device Apple will send you. On your current iphone, download AptBackup. Run it and click Backup. Then Sync your iPhone to your computer. Restore your iPhone and set up as new and send to Apple. When you get new device, set up with a restore from backup, jailbreak and download AptBackup only. Click restore and most if not all your jailbroken apps will be downloaded again. Unfortunately this will nto save settings but you will have a phone as close to it was before you send it in. :)

10. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

hey all.. i just did a stock update to 3.1.3, cause i kinda had enough fun from my jailbroken iphone.

The thing is that, i notice that my carrier logo is not the default "optus" word. So i think there's must be some residual files/settings from the jailbroken settings.. Any idea how i could remove that? thanks

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Do a dfu restore and don't restore from backup.
    If you do restore from backup things will carry over.

12. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

If you don't want to loose your data, you can re-jailbreak, and set that back to default using whatever you used to do it. Like I said, some files remain, anything backed up will remain. Why do you want to get rid of it?

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

They told you early on in the thread. You have to choose set up as new.