unjailbreaking? listen to my story please..

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tongteh, Mar 24, 2009.

1. tongteh macrumors 6502

here's my story:

i just jailbroken my iPhone 3G about 6days ago and left with a backup(a) that's before jailbreaking my iPhone.

then 6days later(today), i am starting to get frustrated with my iphone because of lags, lower battery life and etc. So i decided to unjailbreak it, but in this past 5 days i have been installing new apps from the app store, store some new information on my phone and also had it backup on itunes[backup (B)]

if i want to unjailbreak it, and leave no residual data of it being jailbroken before. Should i restore to backup(a) or backup(b)? I'm hoping that i could restore to backup(b) so that i can keep all the new apps and new information. What should i do?

thank you very much and appreciate your help.

2. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

DFU restore to 2.2.1... Restore from backup..

Make sure you reverse any changes to the springboard, like sbsettings hiding icons, text clock, ect.. or else it will just sync right back..

3. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

if you want absolutly zero traces of you ever jailbreaking.. I'd restore my phone twice.. And start with a fresh copy of 2.2.1. And do not restore from backup.. You can sync all your contacts and applications over again with no problem.. But that's what I personally would do

4. armd123 macrumors newbie

If you do this, will the phone still be unlocked?

5. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

His iPhone isn't unlocked. (At least not via yellows0w)

6. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

i have it unlocked legibly.. :p so jailbreaking or not i will still have unlocked. :p

7. spinstorm macrumors 65816

You guys have confused me and I think I have a good idea what is going on! ;)

Just restore the phone and use a back up from BEFORE you jailbreaked the phone as the backup made after you jailbreaked stores jailbreak information.

Alternatively just restore and set the phone as new.

8. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks.. you just gave me the most precise answer... :) now i know i can't have back my new stored data and etc. but at least a definite answer..

9. armd123 macrumors newbie

What does unlocking legibly mean? I was asking because I'm getting an unlocked, jailbroken phone, but I want to restore it so it is just unlocked and not jailbroken. If I reinstall 2.1.1 will it still be unlocked?

10. charltonx macrumors member

I unjailbroke my phone last night by doing a restore in iTunes and then instead of setting up as a new phone I restored from backup, so my phone had Apples 2.2.1 software loaded onto it with a full restore but the backup came from when the phone was jailbroken, does this mean there are still traces of my phone having been jailbroken?

Do I have to set it up as a new phone to wipe all traces of it being jailbroken?

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Depends on what you did with your phone while it was jailbroken. Some jb modifications make changes to the system settings, which are then backed up and restored, thus leaving traces of the phone having been jailbroken. An example is if you change your carrier name from, say AT&T to "My iPhone" or something. Your status bar would still say "My iPhone" if you unjailbreak then restore from a backup you made while jailbroken. However, the vast majority of changes made to your system during jailbreak are wiped out when you unjailbreak, never to return.

12. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

I think he means legally.

13. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I love this. Jailbreak to make the carrier say something cool, then upgrade to 3.0 or something - that's what I did. Ended up doing a complete restore though. Just feels nicer.

14. charltonx macrumors member

Thanks Night Spring, I made sure everything was put back to it's original state before I did a restore, I decided to set it up as a new phone anyway, just to be sure. I must say, maybe it's in my head, but the phone does feel snappier.

Now come on Apple, roll on 3.0 and I won't miss Jailbreak.