iPhone unjailbreaking question!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by imHappy, Jun 16, 2012.

1. imHappy macrumors regular

Hey guys,

Im having issues with my jailbreak therefore i want to restore to stock to see whether the same issues are happening with stock OS.

Before JB i made a copy of the non-jailbroken back up. When restoring to stock OS instead of putting "set as new phone" i would choose the copied non-jailbroken backup. Just in case, i read that restoring from a previous back up would leave "traces"(plist) from the jailbreak which would take some space; would this also happen with this non-jailbroken back up?

Therefore, would taking my phone with the non-jailbroken backup to the apple store...safe for my warranty?

And finally do i need to put in DFU mode to unjailbreak? or simply clicking the restoring buttom would be okay?

Thanks in advance guys!

2. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

As long as you're sure the backup you're restoring to was before you jailbroke, you should be fine. You can just click restore in iTunes. Make sure you don't need to maintain a lower baseband for unlocking.

3. utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

Yep, just push restore!

4. imHappy thread starter macrumors regular

5. Ados macrumors newbie

Sorry to bump this but i didnt want to start a new thread

So i jailbroke my 4s 2 days ago, having backed up through icloud and itunes just before jailbreaking

So i know my warranty isnt void if i need to bring it back to apple, if i restored then restore to backup its all good ONLY if the backup isnt when jailbroken ? ( because of the traces)

But do i have to disaBle syncing until then to avoid jailbroken backups ? Or i can just choose a date when restoring from backup where the phone wasnt jailbroken ?

Or is it ok to restore then restore from backup even if its a jailbroken one ?

Thanks

6. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Just out of curiosity, if you're restoring your phone so you can take it in to Apple, why does it matter that you restore an old backup? Why not just restore as new to be perfectly safe and take that in for warranty repair?

As for your questions, I'm not totally sure. Sorry for not answering your questions. I assume that if you restore a jailbreak backup then it will have old plist files taking up space in the "Other" category. That's what I've always read and have been told.

For me, I always restore as new, jailbreak, sync contacts and calendars via iCloud, then restore all my App Store apps and game saves via AppBackup. I never restore from backup regardless if it's a jailbreak backup or not. My phone always runs so much better when I restore as new. Just my two cents.