Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CayceH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have a jailbroken iphone4 and want to know if i perform a backup to my iTunes with the jailbreak on it can I wipe my phone and backup without rejailbreaking?

Senex

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Northern Indiana, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have a jailbroken iphone4 and want to know if i perform a backup to my iTunes with the jailbreak on it can I wipe my phone and backup without rejailbreaking?

Syncing/backing up the phone with iTunes will not remove the jailbreak. Only a "restore" or an update of the iOS will cause you to lose the jailbreak. Think of the user data and the jailbreak in two separate categories: iOS is the briefcase, while your user data (contacts, music, photos, videos, movies, messages, etc) is the paperwork you keep inside the briefcase. A jailbreak is merely installing a custom lining in the briefcase. By backing up, you're simply making photocopies of all your papers, not ripping out the lining.

zipster

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2011
  • Back up your phone
  • Restore to factory settings
  • Use the backup you last created to restore the phone

CayceH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
United States

I would also like to keep my existing apps from the app store. Can I do a backup now with the jailbreak on it an restore it or will it put it back on my device?

Last edited by a moderator:

CayceH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
United States

Ok here is my scenario: backup iPhone now with it jailbroken. Now I restore it to default settings. Now I restore it from the backup I just made. Will I get any problems?

McBeats

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2007
erf
As long as all your iphone hardware is in tact and you have enough disk space for iphone backup on your computer, you shouldn't run into any problems.

Some people get weird errors during restore process sometimes, usually due to altering some itunes files or other reasons. But if u haven't really messed with anything, it should work fine.

Good Luck, and hope everything works on the flip side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.