Unknown app asking for access to Keychain

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JonMac46, Sep 9, 2016.

1. JonMac46 macrumors newbie

My network and internet access are working OK. However, the Airport utility on my iMac says it can't find my Airport Extreme and the Airport Express [connected to my music system] that links to it.

All my devices are connected to the Extreme using WiFi.

Sometimes the Airport utility pops up on the iMac screen and then an unknown app asks for access to my keychain, which I deny.

This has started happening since I updated the Express firmware a few weeks ago. I have Back to my Mac turned off.

I can use the Airport utility on my iPad and both devices show up OK there, but not on my iMac.

Also, everything looks normal from my wife's Macbook.

So is it something on my iMac?

The unknown app that asks for access has an icon of a locked padlock and something like a blade to the right of it. I can't find this icon anywhere.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Could you screenshot this when it comes up? Just on the off chance somebody here may recognise what it is.

3. JonMac46 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

The app has a name. looks like it's just a space or a non-breaking space (opt-space) Do a search for Appname starts with " " or perhaps ". " which would render it invisible.
    Either Find Any File, or EasyFind can do the search for you. I would not trust Spotlight to turn up the offending App.

5. Tech198, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016

Tech198 macrumors G4

so why would u trust third party search solutions then ?

If the app is "unknown" then i wouldn't be giving it a second thought,.... don't allow it.

If its Airport utility, it would have said so,.. Also, look like the screenshot is chopped a bit... 'wants to access..." is after the app name.... That by itself looks fishy since there is only a space..

6. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

I would trust them because, unlike Spotlight, they allow you to search everywhere on disk. Spotlight does not report on System, Library folders or invisibles, whereas the two apps I mention will search the entire disk.

Even with permission disallowed, the App is not something you want on your drive, and you have to find it before you can get rid of it.

7. Tech198 macrumors G4

The point is, u are trusting a third party... regardless of what the app may or may not do is questionable, (always is), but its still not Apple...

Spotlight does report on system files,, not by default,.. but u can click "+" then "Other" and select "System files" in the pop-up.

Not sure if that would be the entire disk, but its most then the normal search..

Attached Files:

8. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Do a search with Spotlight for ".bash_history". If you've ever used Terminal, it's right there on your desktop; just invisible. Set all the settings yopu want in Spotlight. Maybe you'll find a combo that will turn the file up for you. I haven't. When I look for unknown files, I prefer to use a tool that I know is not employing some odd filtering to make stuff more user friendly.
    The padlock/dagger iconed file is likely to be in some odd place that you'll have to mess around with spotlight for 30 mins just to maybe get things set right so you can find it.
    Far easier to use one of the two reputable file finding apps I suggested rather than expecting Apple to cater to your malware finding whims. Spotlight is OK for everyday searches, but when you're looking for deliberately obfuscated stuff you are far better off with a third party tool that doesn't try to dumb things down for the average user.

9. JonMac46 thread starter macrumors newbie

Partron22, thanks for your suggestions. I have downloaded EasyFind, but I need some guidance on how to use it.
    You said "search for Appname starts with " " or perhaps ". " which would render it invisible." Does that mean I enter a blank or a period into the search box, that is without the quotes?
    Also, do I need to search in Files & Folders or File Contents? Obviously including Invisible Files & Folders.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

EasyFind is a great product, with a good reputation, and its results are superior to Spotlight.

11. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Yes, files and folfders, and folder contents, not fie contents.
    I use mostly "Find any File". $$, but it includes the option "starts with" which cuts down on the number of hits. Easyfind will do the job, you'll just get more false positives. Open the settings tray and check the "Scan all files" box. When done, use the sort menu to sort by name or creation date. That should help the culprit stand out.

12. Michael Anthony macrumors regular

Easyfind blows Spotlight away in my experience

13. JonMac46 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just had the icon pop up again. I know very little about terminal but I had a go and saw this:
    "sudo tmutil inheritbackup/Volumes/Time\ Machine/Jon\ and\ Holly\ XXXXX’s\ Computer.sparsebundle "
    Any ideas?
    XXXXX is us.