unknown application opens closes, can not be found, Help?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AtrBirkett, Apr 8, 2010.

1. AtrBirkett macrumors newbie

AtrBirkett

Epudi is an unauthorised piece of third party software which i was not aware of until the following problems occured:

It opens every few seconds, then closes itself
    Its not in the Apps folder
    Not in the Library folder
    Not in the Apps Support Folder (on both Mac HD and Home folder)
    Not found in the activity monitor
    and not found using spotlight.

I doubt this is a virus, as this did open up once in every one to two weeks. After it first appearing I checked with a Anti Virus software that came with a MacHeist Bundle (now been deleted) and no viruses.

How do you find this program to delete it? or just stop it?

(I have a Macbook last white white model before the Uni body, 2.13 GHz, 4GB RAM, 10.6.3.)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What do you mean by "unauthorized"?

How does this "application" make you aware of its existence?

While it is open, can you see it in Activity Monitor, after you have selected to SHOW ALL PROCESSES?

Is it found via System Preferences > Accounts > your account > Login Items?

Why do you think its name is Epudi?

A Google search for "epudi mac os x" does not bring up any relevant search results.

3. AtrBirkett thread starter macrumors newbie

AtrBirkett

1) As In I didn't download it. I have no idea how it could have gotten onto my mac without me knowing. I usually aware of what I have on my mac.

2) it opens up, and for a second (enough to miss words out when typing) it opens up, before promptly closing. It does that about every 5-10 seconds.

3) No it does not appear

4) No it is not

5) because in its breaf opening time, I managed to catch it open on my dock, and select 'keep in dock' then look at it name.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

When it is still in the Dock now, can you make a screenshot of the icon or even select to show it via Finder?

[​IMG]

5. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

You could also check your console. If you're lucky, it opens and closes because of an error that gets posted to the system.log. That should have the full path to the software.

FYI, epudi is iDupe spelled backwards, which is OS X software.

mt

6. Ganesha macrumors regular

sudo find / -name 'Epudi'

Note: It may take some time to check everything. You should unmount any external drives (especially a time machine volume) unless you want find to traverse them.

7. tonytwoeyes macrumors newbie

epudi

I have just noticed an application called 'epudi' that briefly opens up when starting up. I wondered if there was any conclusion to this thread about 'epudi' ?

8. Ganesha macrumors regular

Additional research shows this is related to Epson Printer Software. It drives some people nuts because it is very hard to eradicate.

9. jmourilyan macrumors newbie

I too was getting this, and it seemed to start after I updated the software for my Epson Scanner/Printer this morning, but not with the original installation software that came with the device

I have subsequently removed all references to Epson software, and went through ABOUT THE MAC > MORE INFO > APPLICATIONS to locate the location of any buried files (particularly the EPUDI process).

Having removed them all I no longer have the problem. However I will need to reinstall the installation software to get my printer/scanner working again (hopefully it won't cause the issue to rear it's head again) and avoid updating the driver software when it's released.

Jim