Unknown computer/server showing up under "Shared"....help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hellodon, Mar 3, 2009.

1. hellodon macrumors 6502

I have 3 macs and a PS3/Xbox 360 all running on a protected wireless network at my house...our iPhones also use the network when necessary.

Right now I am on the MacBook Pro, my iMac is on in another room, and all other devices are off. Usually under shared from this computer I just see my iMac in finder because I allow sharing between the 2 computers... but I noticed something odd that I've never seen before. Something else is showing up under "Shared". It looks like another computer and says "mac001b639f####" I didnt fill in the last 4 characters just in case this ends up being some sort of personal info that I shouldnt be sharing.

Anyway - I have never seen this before. I clicked "More Info" and the only thing it says is that it's a PC Server. I can try to "Connect As" to it but doesnt let access any sort of info as Guest or as a Registered user.

I just checked on my iMac and I do not see this from there, it's only showing up on this computer...I restarted and it's still there.

Does anyone have any idea what this is? It's sort of freaking me out! haha. I attached a picture as an attachment.

Attached Files:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's a MAC address. Plug that in here to find the vendor of the network device.

Tried restarting your router yet?

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I knew I should have put that in since it was the vendor digits. Time to check your network adapters.

5. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm..okay so as you already saw it's showing up as an Apple device, but what is it? Is it possible that my iMac is showing up twice? Its odd that it only shows up on the MBP and not on the iMac...makes me think that it IS the iMac.

I was using screen sharing earlier...dunno if that matters....

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

7. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

No, just screen/file between mac's on the network.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Hmm, odd. In any case, it's probably the iMac you're seeing, so I wouldn't worry about it.

9. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

You must have an Airport Extreme, or Express. I believe that is it. Mine shows up just like that when im at home, and my wife's Mac is turned off.

10. calebgroup macrumors newbie

Same issue has me concerned...

Hello all,

I am having the same issue as hellodon. The thing is that I dont have any other iMacs in my home. The other computer's ID is jb8089. and when I click to 'get info' on it, it says it is a PC Server. I don't own Airport Express or extreme.

I know this sounds like I may be getting worked up over nothing, but this has me pretty nervous.

I am also attaching a photo for you to see (its on the left side, of course).

Thank you for any help you could provide.

Attached Files:

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

12. larubia macrumors newbie

re:unknown PC under shared

Hi, all. I joined tonight because I have this same issue and all of the threads running on this topic seem to have petered out.

The screenshot above is what I have - a very PC-looking icon, which "get info" tells me is a PC Server. The oddest thing about it is that it has a name that is the same as my computer's name, except: where I have capital letters, it has lowercase.

People have mentioned Time Machine, Airport Extreme, neighbors' computers. Since it has my mac's name, the idea that it's someone in the neighborhood doesn't really sit. All sharing is off. I have done nothing new on the Mac lately. BUT: I have an iPhone. I don't sync every day, but I did sync today because I downloaded an app in the iPhone store that, in order to sync, one needs to get to an outside website. However, I have not set up synching or used the app, or even gone to the app creator's website. This is the ONLY thing I can think of that might have anything to do with this weirdness.

Help! And thanks.

13. Sypher89 macrumors newbie

I think i have it figured out for ya

I found this thread about this problem as i was having the same. After messing round with the shared folders and getting the same results you all were. I noticed i didnt have my Time Machine running on auto backups. When i enabled it the shared computer vanished. I hope that solves your problems.

14. hatter236 macrumors newbie

I've had that happen before when I was at work (Yes I bring my own mac), it happened when I set up my file sharing and web sharing. It depends on what network you are connected to and what sharing settings you have on. The sharing means that it will not show more than your Public folder unless you allow it to