Unknown computers in shared section

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vincmo, Mar 4, 2008.

1. vincmo macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've been using Leopard 10.5.2 since it's release and noticed a strange thing. There are unknown Computers that appears in finder under the shared section. I'm connected directly into the modem since I'm waiting to get my hands on a TC. Somethimes there can be 3 different computers in shared...and I don't know the names.

Is this a setting that I have to change or a serious security flaw?

Thanks in advance,

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If you're the only computer connected to that modem, odds are that the unknown computers are people who are directly connected to the Internet like you, have file sharing enabled (a very foolish thing to do, as it leaves your computer wide open to attack), and are on the same subnet as you. If this sounds like your situation just make sure you have file sharing disabled on your Mac as well as the firewall enabled, and you should be just fine.

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I'm guessing that since yo're directly connected to the internet that those computers are also directly connected to their cable modem and therefore showing up via bonjour as being in your local network. This is why you should not directly connect to your cable modem but instead use a router/switch/physical firewall.

4. vincmo, Mar 4, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

vincmo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, I'm buying Time Capsule as soon as it is out in the stores here in Canada....that should solve my problem.

Thanks again!