Unknown divice in AirPort menu

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macswitcha2, Jul 23, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

When I click on the AirPort icon, under devices, I see "print server 65576F."

Where is this coming from? Is AirPort picking up this server from somewhere else? And, should I be concerned about security?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where are you clicking the AirPort icon? On the Menu Bar? No, you don't need to worry about security. It most likely represents a print server on the network you're connected to, or have connected to in the past.

3. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, that's where I'm clicking. I never saw it. How do I remove it or block t?

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

The menu bar Airport drop-down shows all broadcast networks that your Mac can see. Unless you're in the middle of nowhere, it's quite common to see other nearby networks in the list--sometimes a lot of them.

It's not a security issue, it just means someone nearby has a network named "print server 65576F"--probably a wireless printer in a nearby house or apartment left on the default configuration.

I can see between 2 and 4 other networks from my house, and up to six visible at my workplace.