unknown error (6) help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bobbycarver, Sep 12, 2010.

1. bobbycarver macrumors newbie

i had my iphone back today and i tryed to install a version of 4.1 that i found on the internet beacuse itunes wouldnt download it so i restored it selected the ipsw using shift then when it was restoring i got this error message (6) an my iphone 3g has now got a picture of a usb and itunes logo on it , so i tryed restoring it with a version i got from apple site and still the same error (6) it wont start up and it wont restore please help

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Hi bobbycarver, and welcome to MacRumors. :)

First of all, are you running a Mac or PC? And secondly, make sure you have updated to the latest version of iTunes using either Apple Software Update or downloading iTunes directly from Apple's website (it sounds like you may have done this already).

Here is the Apple Support Article for error message 6:

In that support article you will find a step by step guide to resolving your issue. Specifically to Error 6, the article states:
    Error 6: All of the steps in this article apply to resolve this issue. Following iTunes for Windows: Troubleshooting security software frequently resolves this error. There may be third-party software installed that modifies your default packet size in Windows by inserting a TcpWindowSize entry into your Registry. If your default packet size is set incorrectly it can cause this error. Contact the manufacturer of the software that installed the packet size modification for assistance.​

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions, and remember, the more information your provide, the more we can help. :)