Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

machobbyist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
i have an unknown icon in my menu startup bar location. I can't remove by known methods like holding the cd key and dragging it out or right clicking on it for more detail or using the option click to get information. Also, it doesn't show up in activity monitor.

I'm at a loss for next steps. the icon is simply 2 opposing arrows, one aimed at the upper left corner and one at the lower left corner.

Any ideas on how to remove it?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 9.51.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 9.51.52 AM.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 504

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That's VMware. It's likely set as a login item. You can remove it in the Accounts pref pane.

machobbyist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
That's VMware. It's likely set as a login item. You can remove it in the Accounts pref pane.

Thank You for the quick response.

it certainly is annoying. you can't do anything with it like change config options or settings or anything. i think I'll remove it in system preferences login items then.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
i have an unknown icon in my menu startup bar location. I can't remove by known methods like holding the cd key and dragging it out or right clicking on it for more detail or using the option click to get information. Also, it doesn't show up in activity monitor.

I'm at a loss for next steps. the icon is simply 2 opposing arrows, one aimed at the upper left corner and one at the lower left corner.

Any ideas on how to remove it?
It looks like it might be associated with VMWare Fusion. If you uninstalled Fusion, there may be traces left behind. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

zepman

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Sweden
If you still have VMware installed, you can hide the icon by clicking on it and chose "Applications menu settings" and then chose when it should appear in the menubar. (Always, Never or Only when VMware is running)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.