Resolved Unknown icon on mac menu bar

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by curryyen, Dec 14, 2011.

1. curryyen, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

curryyen macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

So I've been having this weird icon on my menu bar (the S with that weird guy on the bottom right corner) and I have no clue what it is and how to remove it. I tried to use command + dragging to get rid of it but it's the only icon that won't budge. And I've looked through all of my apps to see where it would have come from but no luck. any help would be appreciated ):

2. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

You should be able to right click on it and see what application it says it is. But otherwise open System Preferences, Click Users and Groups, Click Login Items. You should see a list of programs there along with one that has that icon.

3. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Any menu if you click or control+click?

Could some kind of communication app or maybe social app. Also did you check at the bottom of system preferences? Some apps that integrate into the OS don't add anything to the applications folder but do add an option in system preferences.

4. curryyen thread starter macrumors newbie

It's unclickable, if that's the right word to describe it, I was unable to find any program that had that icon nor could I find it in the system preferences. I was thinking it was a communication app too but I tried opening them all no luck. I'm not really ocd about the icon being there, I'm just paranoid that it might be something harmful

5. bun.bhay macrumors member

take a look into activity monitor to see if you could find something in there that you might recognize.

6. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

How long has it been there and what were the last few apps that you installed? The icon in the task bar might be different from the app icon.

Did you check the startup apps in user accounts as someone else here suggested?

7. Odd macrumors newbie

Odd

I had it too, long time ago. And I must have removed it.
    But sorry, I can't remember what it was.
    It may just be a Samsung printer "service" of some sort. Try looking in Library/StartupItems.

Happy hunting

8. SDColorado, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I would tend to think that it is anything harmful. Harmful things usually don't display themselves so prominently in the menu bar.

I am assuming that if you restart the computer it auto-starts and re-appears? If so, I am surprised it doesn't show up under login items under users and groups.

You don't recall having installed anything recently that might account for it?

Edit: I think Odd is on the right track. I asked a friend who has a Samsung printer and he says the icon sounds like the Samsung "Smart Panel" icon. He couldn't recall for sure because he uninstalled the Samsung drivers and software.

9. dhd macrumors member

dhd

That's an icon from Samsung's printer utilities.

10. curryyen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone for your help! I remember where this annoying icon came from & I think I know how to get rid of it. No wonder this icon didn't show up anywhere on my computer since I gave up installing a samsung printer midway. Anyways, thanks again! :)