Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killerstorm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2018
Donetsk, Ukraine
I bought a new MacBook Air 13" to replace the old one I have (2015 version). The reason is that it had too small RAM and SSD size, but otherwise I like it a lot, and so I wanted identical laptop with just more RAM and SSD (and slightly faster CPU maybe).

When I unpacked it and turned it on, I noticed that the new one's display has slightly blueish tint. It's not a huge problem by itself.

But when I started using it, it turned out that it's of inferior quality: ghosting when scrolling is considerably worse, colors are worse, and worst of all, it's somehow irritating to my eyes. Since I use it 12+ hours a day this is very important.

I started to investigate, did screen became worse in 2017 model?!

Apparently previously there were only two LCD manufacturers for MacBook Air: LG and Samsung. It is possible to identify them using IODisplayEDID, in command line (requires XCode Command Line Tools):

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

It shows an identifier. LG is LP*, Samsung is LSN*. Apparently I had LG panel in the old one.

In a new one I have NT133WGB-N81. Googling this didn't reveal any information: there are people on forums also asking same question, and Chinese sites offer this as a replacement.

Worth noting that I got a version which is for Indian market, specifically SKU MQD42HN/A. I'm actually in Ukraine and got it from online store which, I guess, imported it from India because Indian version is cheaper, maybe?

Another possibility is that I got a laptop with non-original panel, perhaps refurbished? Although I see no evidence for that, it was in original packaging, no signs of tampering of any sort.

If you are from India (or other Asian county, I saw a person asking about this EDID on Japanese forum) and have XCode tools installed, you can help me: please check EDID of your MacBook Air using command I posted above (same can be found on many web sites talking about different panels). I wonder if it's some new version, sold globally or only in India, or a non-original panel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.