Unknown Network SSID showing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by theslaz, Dec 20, 2013.

  1. theslaz macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2009
    Location:
    Calgary; Alberta; Canada
    #1
    Don't know if this is the right place to post/ask this question; but don't know where else it would be appropriate!

    Weird problem.
    My main modem is one supplied by Telus here in Alberta; Canada. I subscribe to OPTIK Tv through Telus and this is what they use.

    A week ago; I had a Telus technician attend my address; as I was having problems with my internet connection. He determined that the old modem was faulty and he installed a new one. Both modems are nearly identical; just that the new one was a newer model. My old modem had a ssid of "Blazer1" . The new modem was installed and the old taken away. I immediately changed the default ssid and password on the new modem. It has a ssid of "Blazer". New modem works great. Problem is; my old modem still shows when I do a network search. It shows as "Blazer1" and as being unsecured with no internet access.
    How is this possible?
     
  2. waw74 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 27, 2008
    #2
  3. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2009
    Location:
    Calgary; Alberta; Canada
    #3
    I have a PC that I keep on standby for issues that I can't resolve with my Mac. It is signed on to my new modem.
     
  4. drsox macrumors 65816

    drsox

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2011
    Location:
    Xhystos
    #4
    Have you rebooted everything on your network, starting with the new modem ?
     
  5. Altemose macrumors G3

    Altemose

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2013
    Location:
    Elkton, Maryland
    #5
    Are you referencing with a Mac? If so then obviously it should not show up, however some other OSes like Android show all SSIDs both within and out of range in the same menu panel. Please tell us what device(s) are showing this problem so we can figure this out. If you are using a Mac, you can use iStumbler to determine the signal strength of the networks. It could also be that a neighbor got a similar modem with that SSID, but we need to know more.
     
  6. RMo macrumors 65816

    RMo

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2007
    Location:
    Iowa, USA
    #6
    I agree with this poster--specifically, if you have a Windows PC, it may be remembering this network and creating one ad-hoc since it can't find the original. Of course, that was supposed to be fixed in a past Windows Update, but maybe you have another device doing something similar.

    Alternatively, as another poster said, some devices (like Android) list all networks, even ones they aren't connected to at the moment.

    Assuming the latter scenario is not the case, I'd check the WiFi network settings on all of your computers to make sure they have "forgotten" about the old SSID. Perhaps you could also turn off all of your devices, then turn them on one at a time (scanning after each) to see where the problem lies.
     
  7. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2009
    Location:
    Calgary; Alberta; Canada
    #7
    Found the problem. I have a D-link router dedicated to my satellite system. It is running OpenWRT and xx-client. I did have the ssid of this router named Dlinksat; However; I could not get it to connect to the internet. What I did; was name the router “Blazer1”; the same name as my old router, and it than connected to the internet. I had forgot that I did this. What I than had was two devices on the same network with the same ssid. The satellite worked; but this setup was creating havoc on my network. I therefore disconnected the cat wire; whilst I tried to figure this out. However; I did not kill the power to the router. That is why the “Blazer1” was still showing on my network! Stupid me. obviously have a permanent brain fart lurking somewhere!

    Thanks to everyone for trying to help/figure this out.
     

Share This Page