Unknown PC Server in Shared Computer List

Discussion in 'macOS' started by southerndoc, Oct 13, 2008.

1. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I recently bought a Time Capsule and ditched the Airport Extreme. I kept all the settings the same (same WPA2 Personal encryption, same password, etc.). I'm utilizing MAC filtering as well and hiding my SSID. I didn't change the SSID.

Since upgrading, I am seeing a PC server in my shared computers section of the finder. It lists mac(001e...). It appears to be a complete MAC address. When I try to connect to it, the connection fails. When I look in my Time Capsule's logs, I do not see any mention of that MAC address anywhere -- not even a connection attempt.

The only other thing I've added to my network is a Ricoh Aficio color laser printer, but I am assuming that is the rnp... that is listed under the shared folder.

I thought the PC server may have in fact been my printer, but last night it disappeared from the list only to return again today. The printer has been online the entire time, so if it was the printer, it shouldn't have disappeared.

Any ideas?

2. southerndoc thread starter macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I just thought of something...

Could this be my VMWare Fusion/Windows Vista showing up? I've never seen it before, or at least I've never noticed it before.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Chances are a network ready printer will show up in your list as if it was a windows server (often with a cryptic mac-address based name). Try pointing a web browser at the ip address and see if you get a printer configuration screen. Of course, the mysterious server could be the sniffer set up by the robot overlords who are sitting in the black van parked in front of your house... Nah... It's probably the printer.

4. southerndoc thread starter macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I have an aluminum foil cap on my head to keep them from reading my brain waves. Are you saying I need to put tin foil around my Time Capsule too? ;)