Unknown powersupply/battery glitch......

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by goliah, Jan 24, 2010.

1. goliah macrumors newbie

I have a white powerbook about two and half years old. I experienced an odd problem recently that has me baffled. I occasionally pull my power plug out to let the Mac work off its battery. I do this from time to time when not traveling until I get the usual screen prompt 'battery low' and then plug in again to recharge. The battery has had only 144 recycles, and SymPro seems happy with its condition, calling it Good. It is not a Sony battery which I have read is causing some problems.

But now even with the battery fully charged according to SymPro, I am unable to work off the battery. After only a short period of unplugged use, the machine will completely and unexpectedly shut down without any warning at all. So for the moment, no travel computing.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

2. Stevo B macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue with my Pre Unibody Macbook Pro. I bought a new battery from apple about 3 months ago and it will show plenty of charge left 80-90% and shut off abruptly. I reinstalled my old battery that has seen better days. It shows that it needs to be serviced. It lasts about 40 minutes, but I'm not experiencing erratic shutdowns with it. I'm guessing that you have the some problem and that its battery related not computer or power supply.

3. goliah thread starter macrumors newbie

battery/powersupply glitch

Misery may love company but where does that leave us? (-:

Because of the abruptness of the machine turning off, as if someone pulled the plug on a light, I wonder if battery contacts within the case have anything to do with it???