Unknown problem#23045(Searching for the Macintosh Management Server)

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Freeyak123, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Freeyak123 macrumors newbie

Today when i turned on my ibook and the mac OS 9.2 was starting an error came up saying " Wrong Version of cache file" "continue" or "stop". Either one i hit brings me an another box saying "Unknown problem # 23045...Searching for the Macintosh Management Server" and asks if i know the administrator password to enter it. and i never set a password so i dont know what it is. Keeps checking name information... then shuts off.. Thanks for the help

Jim

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I moved you to the Apple Collectors forum, because anyone on MR who has much recent experience with using OS 9.2 is probably going to be someone who hangs out here.... best of luck.

3. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Hi Jim,

I'm not entirely sure about the "wrong cache file" alert, but the other error tells me that this machine was set up as an OS 9 client to an OS X server. It is trying to connect and cannot.

Was the iBook working fine previously? Are you able to boot from your install CD, or with the extensions turned off?

4. MacTech68, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

This machine has had Macintosh Manager Client installed. It allows you to boot from the OS on your Mac's own hard drive, but your user documents are located on a server.

The error you're seeing is telling you that your computer cannot locate the internet address of the Macintosh Manager Server (of course you don't have one!). :rolleyes:

I'm not familiar with the Macintosh Manager Client so I'm not sure if it can be un-installed without the original Macintosh Manager Discs.

Some articles that may help:

Error 23045

Troubleshoot Macintosh Manager Client Login.

This Apple Mailing List thread seems to indicate that you can't remove Mac Manager 2 but instead need to remove V2 extensions and control panels and prefs then install v1.4.1 which allows selection of Multiple Users local folders.

Ultimately, the simplest solution is to erase the HD and install a clean system. Backup anything you DO need!
    ________
    Yamaha PSR-500M picture

5. Freeyak123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input in looking more into it now. But yes the ibook was working perfectly fine for a long time with no problems and just recent these problems started occuring. I would use the installation disc that came with it but over the year it has been lost : (.

6. Freeyak123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Best OS to install on a ibook model # m6497

what would be the best Mac OS to install onto one of these ive been looking around and it seems like there are tons..

7. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Give 10.4 a shot, it should run nicely on a 600MHZ G3. If not 10.3 is fine.

8. Freeyak123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for the help, do you know of a good site i could download that OS from?