Unknown substance in the iPhone 4's dock connection area

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by europeNo.1, Aug 22, 2010.

1. europeNo.1 macrumors newbie

When I got my new iPhone 4, I was very pleased, and everything worked perfectly. No trouble with the display or the design. Everything's perfect? No.

A post on this forum about glitches between the glass and the metal/antenna frame made me take out the flashlight just to see if I had the issue. I didn't. However I discovered something greenish in the dock connection area of the phone. Looked like a couple of tiny "leaves" from a green vegetable. I used my sim card ejection tool to get rid of it. As I did so, the greenish substance was a bit gooey like, but not too difficult to get out of there. When this unknown substance was out in "the open" it had no colour, it was more clear or greyish.

Anyone experienced this? Unfortunately I did not take pics of it, nor touch it with my fingers to get a feel of the substance. I surely hope it was nothing toxic from the factory.

2. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Did it turn the the moisture sensor inside the charging port pink? If there was a fluid like substance inside, it would have tripped the sensor....... Take a picture of the sensor........

3. europeNo.1 thread starter macrumors newbie

No pink moisture sensor.

4. europeNo.1 thread starter macrumors newbie

As I said in my original post. I forgot to take pics I could share. Very stupid of me. But there we are. I was just concerned about what it was and how to sort it out.

5. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I usually find fluff building up in the dock connector from keeping the phone on my pocket. You sure it's not just fluff?

I'm not sure removing stuff from the dock connector using a metallic and possible sharp object is such a great idea... You could cause short circuits and damage the connector. Using canned air is a much easier and safer alternative.

6. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

Alien life form?

Attached Files:

7. europeNo.1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not fluff. It was there when I took the phone fresh out of the box.

When i removed it the phone was obviouslu turned off, and I was extremely careful. But I see your point! :)

8. europeNo.1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice one :D

Well if you suddenly get Breaking News of a mutated human being turning gooey with a greenish colour using an iPhone 4, I suppose it's me! ;)

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Also be careful of canned air. It contains liquids which can get into the phone, under the screen, on the water sensor etc. Do not shake or turn the can over while using it. Use it at your own risk. A hand bulb blower (used in photography) makes a lot more sense.

10. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

11. tjmrpm04 macrumors member

9 times out of 10 the joke is better when spelled correctly. :eek:

12. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

+1, making that 10 out of 10...

13. Nokaoi macrumors regular

I'd rep u if there was a rep system!:D

14. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Zing.