"Unknown User" has "Read and Write" access to my Policy Key

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by domenator, Apr 13, 2009.

1. domenator macrumors newbie

Hi all, so my iMac running leopard on my college campus was forced to install this application called "Policy Key.app" This program allows me to connect to the internet for my campus, yet, as I dug through the permissions of this app, I see that there is system access, admin access, myself with access, and then...."Unknown" with read and write capabilities. Is this normal? I assume the write part must be to deactivate my internet if I am doing something illegal obviously but I must say I feel uncomfortable knowing that there is the "Unknown" user that can read and write my internet access levels. Thank you to all who respond.

2. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

I wish someone knowledgeable had responded to this question... my main disk has done the same thing. I can only read, but _unknown can read and write. Baffling and frustrating.

To make matter's worse I believe this new hard drive problem I'm experiencing is responsible for Time Machine wanting to start over with a new 165GB backup... :mad:

3. domenator thread starter macrumors newbie

yes. i actually talked to the chief architect for my school about it and he himself is puzzled by it. He believes that the system is interpreting another user being active on the iMac that I have. I also have to say that this is somewhat interesting because I have a hidden user account set up on mine. As for TimeMachine, I don't think this would be related to it, I think this may perhaps pertain to you have a previous disk for Time Machine and transferring those contents to a new HD??? If so, then I would recommend using Carbon Copy Cloner (freeware) to clone the old disk to the new disk and then retry your backup.