Unknown User on Airport Network?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by seandavid010, Oct 18, 2011.

1. seandavid010 macrumors newbie

Ok, guys, this is kind of a weird one...

I just scanned my network for users with iNet, and saw all the usual users on my network (My iMac, iPhone, wife's macbook air, etc.) but I noticed something weird. It appears there is a user on my network with the ip listed as 10.0.1.8, but I can't see what type of device it is, and it lists the MAC address as unavailable. I've eliminated all possible suspects in my household, and even changed the wireless password, but it's still there.

Any idea what this could be?

On a possibly related note, last week when I scanned the network for users it listed my computer as "Sean's iMac (2)" Which seemed a bit weird to me at the time. Does it think there are 2 of my computers on the network?

While (admittedly) not knowing much about this stuff, is there anything I can do to get rid of this mystery ghost user? Any help would be appreciated.

2. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

When you say Airport network, do you mean you're using Airport Express or Airport Extreme? If so, open your Mac's Airport Utility and click on Wireless Clients on the summary tab. You'll see the MAC address of all devices connected to your router. If you're sure there's one on there that shouldn't be, I guess the easiest thing to do is change your router's password so it can't connect anymore.

3. seandavid010 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

Well, this is interesting. I shut off my iMac and did another network scan from my wife's macbook air, and the mystery user vanished. So I turned it back on and it re-appeared. When I turned it back on, my iMac was listed twice as two different users with two different MAC addresses. It's connected to the network with both wifi and ethernet, so I just shut off the wifi, and one of the users disappeared.

Is it possible that my iMac can have two separate MAC addresses if it's using wifi and ethernet? This is so confusing...

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

5. seandavid010 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, then. Easy enough. Problem solved (I love this place!)