Unkown error 9

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by vegastime, Aug 20, 2010.

1. vegastime macrumors regular

I am trying to update my iPhone 4.

I keep getting the following message:

The iPhone could not be restored. An unkown error occured (9).

Anybody have any info, or, ideas?

2. michaeljordan macrumors newbie

unknown error 9

Hey vegastime,

Sorry to hear that you encountered such a problem as well. I got this problem when I plugged in my iP4 for the first time and tried to sync. Here's a link at apple's site that you might want to try:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1275

Unfortunately, I tried and none worked for me. So I had to bring it back to my service provider and asked them to reset the software for me. Not sure if your provider can do that for you though.

3. vegastime thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I tried those things. Tried two different computers and cables, several different times.

Guess I will have to make an appointment at the Apple store.

4. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I had this problem when I updated to 4.0.1, took me about 30 attempts until it finally worked. I didn't do anything differently on the 30th attempt, it just seems to be a random glitch. Not updating to 4.0.2 now and when 4.1 comes out I'll wait to see what other users are saying...

5. Aaron1021 macrumors member

i was updating from 4.0.1 to 4.0.2 the other night and i had a problem where i couldn't restore the phone. i was getting error 1604 though. after doing a quick google search i found something and it worked for me when i tried it. (i'll try to find the link, but i can't seem to find it anymore)

what i did was go through the normal process of restoring the phone. when itunes starts to hang, hit ctrl+alt+del to bring up the task manager (assuming you have a pc) and kill the itunes.exe under processes. then start up itunes again and restore. this worked for me the first time i tried it, after 4 failed attempts by just waiting it out.

i don't know if this will help you, but it worked for me.

this was on an iPhone 4 btw.

6. vegastime thread starter macrumors regular

This is what finally happened to me.

After two days of trying to figure it out, today, it updated just fine.

Very strange, as I did not do anything different.

7. psudude macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me the other night. Second time it happened (also happened with 4.0.1). This is strike two for Apple to mw. One more thing like this, I go and buy a Captivate and retire my iPhone. It's unacceptable that Apple has had all these different issues for something they should have cleared up by now

8. psudude macrumors newbie

Bump since vie noticed this (or a variation of it) popping up more and more. recboot helps, but still annoying it has to be used. Am I wrong?