Unkown locations showing in Shared area of Finder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Anthony A, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Anthony A, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

Anthony A macrumors member

For the last week or so I have been noticing that the "Shared" section of the Finder side bar has been showing entries that I do not recognize.

I have five computers on my wireless network and it's secured with WPA2. None of the computers are set up to share anything. They just use the wireless network but are not set up to have access to each other. I have sharing turned off in my Mac.

So what are these entries that are appearing in the Finder? They don't show up on the Windows machines or Linux machines.

If someone has hacked onto my wireless connection would they appear in my Shared section even if I have sharing turned off? I thought I needed sharing turned on to see them? Also wouldn't they need to have sharing turned on on their machines for me to see them on my network? If they are skilled enough to hack my network I would think they would be smart enough to turn sharing off so I can't see them. Or is there something I'm overlooking?

2. Anthony A thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks for that at least now I know I'm not under any kind of threat.

I have some of those options checked so thats why those entries appear but where are those networks coming from? The "connected servers" was the option I had checked so I understand why it appears but I don't understand where they are coming from.