Unlikely to see Macbook/iMac refresh at least until June?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jordwest, Feb 6, 2011.

1. jordwest macrumors newbie

Like many, I'm patiently waiting to upgrade to a Macbook Pro after the predicted refresh this year. A lot of people seem to be speculating that this will happen around April, however I'm willing to bet that we won't see them at all until June at the very earliest. Here is the logic:

1. The new Macs will almost certainly ship with OS X Lion.

2. The new Macs will not ship with OS X Lion before Lion is officially released.

3. OS X Lion will be released in summer this year (according to http://www.apple.com/macosx/lion/)

This seems too obvious, yet everybody is still saying April?

My poor old '07 entry level macbook is struggling these days and I really need to upgrade...

2. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Good logic... they might start shipping a new model though and give you 10 update disks for Lion though. Could go either way... sorry that I can't be more help.

3. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

If you really need to upgrade then why don't you buy the current models! I did it too last week, via the education store which offers a 10% off from the normal price :)

4. thirty7alpha macrumors member

thirty7alpha

I don't see any real connection based on prior MBP updates to the OS revisions. They'll sell you a new MBP in April, then give you a great "discount" on Lion in June. ;) More coin.

5. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

you are still going to get the same discount off of the new models though...

6. dwhynman macrumors regular

I have seen a few people say they are expecting MBPs to be released with lion before it is released. I don't understand why if it was ready they wouldn't release it for all macs. So why would they wait just to bundle it with lion. Also am sure apple sees a sales boost everytime they refresh so it would not be good to wait 15 months between refreshes. I Belize as soon as they have a computer ready the refresh will come.

7. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

agree...

8. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I don't see the logic.

Apple will release MBP when it's ready. Period.

Only time it will be released in June is if MBP is not ready before June.

9. sdneidich macrumors member

The 2008 MBP was released 3 months before Snow Leopard was released, and I believe that Apple offered a free upgrade on those machines as well as a cheap upgrade for all others.

10. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

They don't usually hold back hardware releases just for new OS, wouldn't make any sense.

11. Kevinfx4 macrumors newbie

+1

12. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Yes. I understand this.

But my Fujitsu windows laptop which is just over one year old, to my biggest surprise given the proven quality of the brand, freezes frequently when I sync my iPhone/iPad. I had waited for the refresh of the MBP line-up but the recent delay of Intel chips has changed my mind.

I'm more than happy to live with a powerful laptop like the 15-inch Core i7 MBP. Of course, if Apple updates the MBP tomorrow I will feel a bit surprised, but I doubt if they can do it before April, at that time my exam (part-time study) is imminent and I won't have time to configure my computers.

If you have a working laptop I'd suggest you to wait until mid-2011.

p.s. I don't think it's related to Mac OS X Lion. It's more related to the Intel chips delay... If Intel cannot ship any chips before Late Feb, I think early May may be a better guess for an update of MacBook Pros.

13. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

dont say thissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ... Dying here :(

I need this THIS month..

If not, I will settle for march.. not one day after march.. PLEASEeee

14. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

I guessed out of no credible information just like most of us here. We truly don't know what is Apple's plan.

15. aCondor macrumors 6502

The refresh of Macbook Pro line and update of OS X Lion are not connected. One does not influence the other.

It does not make business sense to hold back hardware to "pair" its release with a software update. Hardware begins to degrade in value the second it's ready to ship.

16. Yinmay macrumors regular

Snow Leopard.

Past practices defeat your logic. Snow Leopard was released on August 28, 2009 yet:
    iMac were refreshed on March 2009
    Macbook on May 2009
    And most of all Macbook Pro on June 2009 only a couple months before Snow Leopard.

Surely they could have held off the MBP's release until August had they wanted to release new computers at the same time as the new OS.

My predictions: '11 MBP will come out on Feb 22 at the earliest, March 29 at the latest... unless Intel's recently discovered defect messed up Apple's plans.

17. jordwest thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess my logic was flawed at point one:

Very good point. To let hardware go stale while waiting to ship would be a terrible move.

18. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

i think it depends on sandybridge and how that plays out is my guess. i'd wish for it to be now too.

19. Tshapi macrumors regular

Apple has always put software before hardware by pairing the two together so they can make the money needed to support the research of the software. This is why apple makes premium priced products.

if Apple Re-designs there computers, then they will release the next wave of computers with the release of the new OSX.

If apple does not re design there computers then the computers will be release when they are ready (after the SANDY BRIDGE FIASCO clears up)

20. vipergts2207 macrumors 68000

vipergts2207

Really? Because Apple didn't do that with Leopard or Snow Leopard. Apple doesn't launch a new OS X simultaneously with a refresh.

21. aCondor macrumors 6502

Um... when has Apple ever done this?

22. Tshapi, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011

Tshapi macrumors regular

and your just basing this off of the snow leopard release? what about tiger or panther or leopard?

i never said it was set in stone. i just said in my opinion thats what i believe.

Besides OSX LION is a major OS UPDATE it would benefit apple to release its state of the art OSX on a new top of the line computer that is made especially for it.

also with apple now adays being more focused on the iphone and ipad and the ios devices. it doesnt surprise me if they role the intro of the OSX with a brand new computer intro.

apple doesnt put software before hardware? itunes, ios, OSX, FINAL CUT, GAME CENTER, SAFARI, FACETIME, iphoto, imovie. just to name a few. for apple the computer or phone is nothing more than a vehicle for the software. even apple has said so.

23. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

waiting never even entered my head!!!!!

didnt like the idea of an INTEL video card......

i'll stick with my 2010 mbpro 13" it does everything i need and i have it right now :D

i dont blame people for waiting - as its a lot of money to shell out on something that might become the old model within a few months...

but my 13" in total cost me around £400...price i paid for the 15" and the excess on my insurance...

24. lshirase macrumors regular

25. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

Just fyi new macbook pros were released before the current OSX came out. Apple has never delayed an upgrade or timed one specifically with a software update.