Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
pretty incredible that they dont throttle the ipad unlimited plan, that plan is golden

$30/mo for internet anywhere, **** I would use that for my home internet. ATT LTE is faster than my current cable service. Latency is good enough too.. what a deal!

AT&T does not allow tethering with the iPad unlimited data plan. You can tether only if your iPad is jailbroken. (Which mine is.)

----------

How does one do this? I have an iPhone 5 with ATT unlimited and would like to tether it to my ipad at times. Thanks for any help.
You have to jailbreak your iPhone.

bsorrells21

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Experiencing SAME issue - Throttled on Unlimited

I'm grandfathered in. I've been noticing horrid speeds on my phone with full LTE coverage. Did a speed test and speeds don't even reach 1 mbps/s. Held my wife's phone next to mine and hers achieved 45 mbps/s. She's a heavier user and I thought there was no way I could surpass her. Anyways, I did a check and I'm sitting at 5.2 gigs for the month whereas she just broke the 5 gig mark. This is the first time i've been throttled and it's pretty frustrating. Suppose I have to live with it for two more weeks once billing cycle ends. :mad::mad:

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I'm grandfathered in. I've been noticing horrid speeds on my phone with full LTE coverage. Did a speed test and speeds don't even reach 1 mbps/s. Held my wife's phone next to mine and hers achieved 45 mbps/s. She's a heavier user and I thought there was no way I could surpass her. Anyways, I did a check and I'm sitting at 5.2 gigs for the month whereas she just broke the 5 gig mark. This is the first time i've been throttled and it's pretty frustrating. Suppose I have to live with it for two more weeks once billing cycle ends. :mad::mad:
The iPhone grandfathered unlimited data plan is different from the iPad. The iPad unlimited data plan is not throttled but the iPhone is throttled.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle

I strongly believe that we can make things change by calling AT&T and emailing them with the frustration that you are currently having right now with their services.
There is a maximum amount of data that can be downloaded at full speed, which by the way is not always sustained.
There are many months that we have paid and we didn't use all the data we paid, they could do something like rollover data therefore for months like this you can use the unused data that you already paid.
If we stay down and do nothing they continue to get away with their business model.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

Head over to the iPhone forum. There is a method that you can use which disables that throttling--at least for now. I'm too lazy to link to it right now, but just search using the terms, "disable AT&T throttle".

I strongly believe that we can make things change by calling AT&T and emailing them with the frustration that you are currently having right now with their services.
There is a maximum amount of data that can be downloaded at full speed, which by the way is not always sustained.
There are many months that we have paid and we didn't use all the data we paid, they could do something like rollover data therefore for months like this you can use the unused data that you already paid.
If we stay down and do nothing they continue to get away with their business model.

It's probably not worth the trouble to call AT&T and complain. They've already received thousands of complaints and haven't responded.

bsorrells21

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Oops...

The iPhone grandfathered unlimited data plan is different from the iPad. The iPad unlimited data plan is not throttled but the iPhone is throttled.

Touche my friend - In my angst to arrive at an answer of why i'm suddenly experiencing this drastic decrease in speeds, I punched in a google search and arrived at the thread. I failed to read that this thread was specific to the iPad.

T0MMYBOY4

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2013
It is highly unlikely that there is no throttling on ipad unlimited. Highly.

I have an ipad unlimited plan. I can confirm, these plans are NOT throttled like the iphone plans. This is one of ATT's best kept secrets. I average over 100GB (yes, you read that right) of usage per month, no throttling. I stream a lot from my Slingbox, Netflix , XBMC, movie box ....ect.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
pretty incredible that they dont throttle the ipad unlimited plan, that plan is golden

Yes, it is greatness. I upload photos from my ipad because the upload speeds are sooo much faster than wifi. Maybe they don't throttle us ipad unlimited users because we are relatively few.

Overtheroaddriver

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2015

$30/mo for internet anywhere, **** I would use that for my home internet. ATT LTE is faster than my current cable service. Latency is good enough too.. what a deal!

Keep mind tethering this plan is a violation of TOS which is part of the reason they don't offer it anymore people use to tether off it. Now there are people like me who have it and just use data because wifi isn't an option. I use between 50 and 200 GB per month from streaming music, movies, and books, And we'll more inappropriate content . But as an over the road trucker this data plan is the only way to go. I only know about the no tethering having been caught and warned in past so now I have a T-Mobile phone for the 5gb tethering and my unlimited data iPad for everything else that apps offer.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Keep mind tethering this plan is a violation of TOS which is part of the reason they don't offer it anymore people use to tether off it. Now there are people like me who have it and just use data because wifi isn't an option. I use between 50 and 200 GB per month from streaming music, movies, and books, And we'll more inappropriate content . But as an over the road trucker this data plan is the only way to go. I only know about the no tethering having been caught and warned in past so now I have a T-Mobile phone for the 5gb tethering and my unlimited data iPad for everything else that apps offer.
Two year old thread, dude... o_O

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Oops, I didn't make it clear in my original post. I'm talking about grandfathered unlimited data plans for the iPad. I thought these were exempt from throttling, or at least it has been for years. I actually left all summer for Army basic combat training and it was never throttled prior to my departure. Of course, as soon as I got it back, I went a little data crazy. I'm pretty sure I blew through 5 gigs, but the stats aren't accurate.

So if AT&T started throttling these plans, did it happen recently?

I have grandfathered unlimited data plan for my iPhone and they throttled 3 or 4 times when I am almost 3.75GB of data so I am sure they will do same thing with iPad. FCC should talk with AT&T to exempt for all deaf people because deaf people depend on FaceTime/Relay service to communicate with other deaf people so video bandwith usage too much with data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.