Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trhodezy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
Hey there guys,

I think I'll start off by saying that I do have a 25GB iCloud account which I think is brilliant! The cloud backup for my iDevices has saved my life several times now and the document storage is near-on perfect.

No complaints.

The thing is, I have around 1.5TB of old files, mostly photos, on 4 different devices. (MacBook Air, iMac and Mac Pro & Dell Desktop) and I'd very much like to store them online on a server somewhere where they are all safe from Hardware corruption and I can easily access them when I need them.

I was wondering if you guys know of any legit and good sites that offer the above?

My first point of call was of course DropBox but their highest is 100GB before you have to fork out ungodly amounts of money to hit the TB storage.

If possible, I'd like a storage service which has the same integration as DropBox for Mac.

Any suggestions?

All help is greatly appreciated!

Trhodezy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010

tidegu

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
Hi Jessica, would you be able to send an invite my way as well?

seems just a invitation link like this?

http://www.bitcasa.com/beta-signup?share=2971273511

----------

1.5TB... do you have an internet connection allows you sync 1.5TB data? and have you ever tried to recover data in order of GBs from cloud? I bet you can't wait that long, especially lots of small files.

anyway, a large online storage would be great.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Here's another invite link. It's a bit of a ponzi scheme. Other ppl have to click your link for your beta invite to "move up in the queue."

http://www.bitcasa.com/beta-signup?share=1454602876

I should also mention that I'm not really relying on dropbox, box.net or bitcasa. I like crashplan, despite their throttling above 200 GB. I also like smugmug for photos as there is no storage limit there. The only down side to smugmug is the limit on the length of videos and some video codec support issues. Crashplan and Smugmug are not free. For free photo storage, consider Picasa or Flickr. Just read the terms & conditions and you will notice that Picasa gives you "unlimited" storage with google+ membership but then downsamples your photos to 2048 pixels (longest side). Flickr has very short video length restrictions but it is among the best photo sharing sites out there.

As for upload limits, it depends on your ISP. I uploaded about 160 GB of stuff without tripping any sort of "limits" on Comcast. The stated download limit of my account is 250 GB a month which seems rather small if I think about backing up and restoring terabytes of stuff at one time. I like the way dropbox can be set to "self throttle" to avoid hogging all the bandwidth so it might take 3 or 4 days to upload 50 gig but it doesn't make the net unusable for the rest of the computers in the house.

Last edited:

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I use Carbonite which also throttles after 200GB. Beside a web interface they also have an iOS client. I looked at Mozy a long time ago but chose Carbonite.

If it's just hardware failure, you could get a Time Capsule or NAS or external drive. Of course that won't protect against theft/fire/flood/locust/etc.

Before Carbonite I burned photos to DVDs and left them at the office. That turned into a small USB drive when I included other stuff. Inconvenient as heck but it was better than nothing. For some stuff I just put two extra drives in my tower and set up RAID 1.

Doombringer

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2012
Bitcasa looks to be Dropbox on steroids. I love the idea of unlimited storage and being able to dropboxify any folder.

Definitely something I'll be keeping an eye on :)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
1.5 TB will take quite a while to upload.

Might I suggest buying 1 (or even 2) 2 TB drives to back up your data? At least 1 that is not powered on/connected unless you're actively copying data to it., And a second that is attached to your home lag in some way.

You have no idea what business model most of these cloud services will be using in a year. "The first hit is free." And you have no idea when one might get shut down or go out of business.

And for safety you can keep the offline disk somewhere else. Safe deposit box, family members house, etc.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.