Unlimited data for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tl01, Sep 22, 2012.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

I have an iPad 3 with Verizon. My friend has and iPhone with Verizon and is thinking of getting the new iPhone and getting it subsidized so she will be losing her unlimited. I also have a random line on Verizon for a phone we never use but my husband won't get rid of it. Is there any way anymore for me to assume her unlimited and put it on my iPad ?

Thanks!

2. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not that I researched this, but as I understand it, iPad plans are totally distinct from phone plans, so they aren't swappable in the way you are thinking. Also, for your friend to pass on the unlimited plan, she would have to actually have it -- that is, she would have to pass it on first, then open a new line for her iPhone. Hmmmm, so if she knows somebody who is willing to take over her unlimited plan, this might actually work, but there's no advantage in it for your friend, because she'd just end up with a subsidized phone on a limited plan, like she will anyway. And as I said, you can't swap a phone plan for an iPad plan. I don't know if Verizon ever offered any unlimited plans for the iPad -- or AT&T, for that matter. The phone companies apparently got bitten badly with their unlimited plans for the iPhones, so knew not to offer them by the time iPads came along.

4. dchao macrumors 6502a

I am assuming your friend has a grandfathered-in AT&T unlimited data SIM. Yes you can cut that SIM with a micro SIM cutter and insert the SIM into a VZW iPad 3. However, you won't be able to acesss their fast 4G LTE network. You will be throttle down to the slow 3G speed.

Also you are in danger of violating the original TOS. If the carrier find out you are using an iPhone SIM in an iPad . They can terminate your contract without notice.

5. Dav1 macrumors 6502

As an iPad (1) owner, on AT&T and an iPad (3) owner, you can not simply swap SIM cards, that will not work! And there is no need to cut SIM cards they are the same size.

With AT&T you can simply swap accounts between iPads. Again just speaking about AT&T you can "sell" your AT&T unlimited iPad account to another user, I've seen them sold for up to $500.00 (as the AT&T plan is month to month there is no down side for the seller) on the iPad you simply enter the seller's account name and password and change the billing details to your credit card info, after resetting the password.

AT&T does not allow one to change an iPad account for an iPhone account, nor an iPhone account into an iPad account. They also actively check for unlimited users switching accounts between different device families. They don't have an issue with switching between different iPads. Hope that helps.

6. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Not me...I was told by my local Verizon that since I have unlimited 4G now I can keep unlimited as long as I pay the $600......for the phone.....now the iPad is another story.

7. Trooper Sam macrumors newbie

If you take responsibility for the line with unlimited data, and then buy a 4G LTE phone, you'll have an unlimited 4G LTE account. Then, since it's LTE, then Verizon has to abide by the conditions of the Block C spectrum auction that allowed them to have LTE, and you'll be able to use that new SIM in your iPad, with no penalties. They cannot limit what kind of device you use that unlimited data SIM in.

8. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

This is very helpful. Does my friend have to transfer her phone number or is their a way for her to keep it?

9. Dav1 macrumors 6502

AT&T limits what kind of device you can use that unlimited SIM in, and if they can so can Verizon. I suggest you call Verizon and ask, if they say you can get it in writing. Then you'll know...

10. Trooper Sam macrumors newbie

AT&T limits what you can do, but they aren't limited by the terms of the Block C spectrum auction, while Verizon is.

tl01, contact Verizon and ask about "assumption of liability".