iPad Unlimited data for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by patseguin, Nov 4, 2013.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I put this in the iPad section because I went with the wifi after having an AT&T 3rd gen. My iPhone has a no longer offered unlimited data plan and rep told me I should stick with it. Anyone else in the same boat as far as data for tethering for the iPad? I thought about finding a way to see how much data I use and possibly downgrade my plan so I could tether? Or is it more expensive to have a plan with tethering ability?

2. zamboni52 macrumors regular

I have an grandfathered unlimited plan on Verizon. If I enable the hotspot through Verizon it will cost me another $20/month plus the $29.99 I already pay for data. Since I just upgraded to the iPad Air, which uses a nano sim, I just put my SIM card in the iPad use unlimited data. The only downside is you don't receive any phone calls. I only do this if wifi is not available or the hotels charge you for it. With good LTE reception the bandwidth is much faster than any hotel wifi anyway.

3. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

I thought an iPad had to be designed to support cellular. I didn't know you could just pop in a SIM.

4. zamboni52 macrumors regular

Sorry if I was unclear. I have the iPad Air that has Verizon LTE.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Well, you can "just pop a sim in" if you have a cellular enabled iPad. If you have a wifi-only ipad you can't.

I'm not sure what the rest of your question is asking.

What happens if you use a phone sim in an iPad may vary by carrier. The GSM carriers for sure can know since the device registers its IMEI with the network, only question being whether they will do anything about it. There used to be a FAQ about trying a phone sim in an iPad, I seem to remember ATT will bust down after a bit, but I may be misremembering. It'd be worth doing some searches here.