unlimited data for iphone 4s at&t question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RobbySkateboard, Nov 29, 2011.

1. RobbySkateboard macrumors regular

I updated to the unlimited iphone 4s plan back when it came out (being silly I guess, I believed it would be faster due to the hspa+ or whatever the technical name is, in my area) but it made it slower like a lot of people were complaining. I just kind of shrugged it off as it'll get better, but it hasn't. I used to get around 5mb down at my house on 3g, now I'm lucky to get 2mb (just ran a test and got 1.8mb). And now with this itether app being on apple, I'd like it to be faster. I logged into my at&t account and see I can't go back to what it was, but is there anything you guys have figured out/done to get it faster? Because a few people were saying that it DID improve their speeds (when it first came out) and were achieving speeds of 8mb down or somewhere near that.

2. iphone4s16gb macrumors 6502

ATT never give customer unlimited data usage ?
    i wish they do in future ,

3. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

This seems to be a common problem with many iPhone 4S users. The recent IOS update was supposed to correct this issue. Mine never had problems thankfully.

Never hurts to schedule a Genius Bar appointment.

4. RobbySkateboard thread starter macrumors regular

I'll update to 5.0.1 (I was waiting for a jailbreak but I guess it doesn't matter much anymore now that I have itether) I just wish I could get quick reply (with bitesms specifically), activator and sbsettings. But I guess since I'm not jailbroken I CAN go to the genius bar, haha.

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I haven't really noticed slower speeds when switching to the hspa+ data plan.

6. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Switch to a 4G LTE-capable device on Verizon.

7. RobbySkateboard thread starter macrumors regular

smartass... I love the iphone 4s, it's simply the best phone out there, AND I have unlimited data, say I did switch to Verizon, I'd lose my unlimited, thus making it useless.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

Is it a matter of switching to the other APN? If so, you can go to www.unlockit.co.nz and then there are several AT&T/Cingular options that you can use to switch the APN back to WAP.CINGULAR (from "phone").

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Do you see any difference at other locations?

I do see a bit better performance on my 4S than I did on my 4, and I'm on the 4S unlimited AT&T plan. I typically see 3G speeds vary though, sometimes 2-3Mbps but usually more like 5 to 5.5Mbps. I've not changed APNs or anything, and am on iOS5.0 (haven't upgraded to 5.0.1)

10. RobbySkateboard thread starter macrumors regular

I just got less than 1 mb and then 2 seconds later got 2.81mb, crazy varying on these, but either way I'm not getting the speeds I used to before I upgraded to this unlimited 4s plan.

11. heyloo macrumors 6502

Chances are you've done this already but have you swapped out the SIM card to the new SIM card or the same one that you used in your previous phone? Apparently the one that comes with the iPhone 4S is 4G-enabled SIM card and the previous ones weren't. From my discussion with an AT&T rep when I got my 4S, she told me that there are 2 factors to enable the 4G connection on the 4S - the 4S internet plan and the 4G-enabled/capable SIM card.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am not sure I understand what the issue is here. It has nothing to do with your plan. It's either the phone, your service area, or a combination of both.

I wouldn't tether if I were you. ATT will slap you in the face with the 4GB tether plan...

13. gruevshoes macrumors newbie

Service area

I have a 4s with my old iphone4 sim it it .. I get 8-9 Mb down at home but only 1-2 at work ..and I'm still on iPhone unlimited plan not the 4s unlimited plan . I think the service just very's from place to place .

14. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

This. The only way for the unlimited plan to make a difference in speed is if you've gone over 3GB and are being throttled. If that were true you would probably know about it. Personally I would 1. restore as new and see if the behavior changes before installing any apps; 2. report the issue to at&t; and 3. make a genius appt.