Unlimited data plan dilemma

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ServiceTag, Feb 4, 2011.

1. ServiceTag macrumors member

upgraded my original two 2g iPhones under family plan to latest iP4 just last month...
    During incredibly long and messy activation process (mainly because of getting it from Radio Shack) I talked to ATT rep and surprisingly she offered me to keep my unlimited data plan if I call back.
    Well, not exactly I would need it, since I rarely go over an 1gb/month with mine and even much less on the my wife's iP4,
    but I am afraid once it's gone is gone forever.
    So, my dilemma is take it or leave it? I am thinking maybe to get it at least on one and keep 200mb on the other one. That would give me just $5 increase on my bill.
    Or should I rather go with 2x2Gb for same money ($40) as 2g's?
    TIA for any help....:confused:

2. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

I'd try for unlimited text rather than unlimited data. The nature of the phone will limit your data usage, unless you tether.

3. ServiceTag thread starter macrumors member

Unlimited text? why it would better in long run? can you please explain?

4. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Nah, you can get unlimited text already with Google Voice.

If you are sure you'll never go over the 2GB, then don't bother with the Unlimited. It's going to go away soon enough anyway. It'll go away if you ever decide to tether (unless you jailbreak). And it'll go away once they go to LTE. Remember, you can always add an additional 1 GB of data for $10 any particular month if you did go over and still only be paying $5 more for that month compared to the unlimited plan.

Most people want to hold onto that unlimited data as long as they can, and I can understand that. It's the feeling of losing something you once had. But at the end of the day, unless you have some particular need that requires more than 2GB of data per month, most of the time you'll likely be under that.