iPad Unlimited data plan on mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Smileyboy, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

I was thinking of buying a Verizon unlimited data plan from a friend of mine. Can I transfer the service and just use the data on the unlimited data on the iPad mini? Anyone try this?

2. Jades macrumors 6502

Yes. Get a 4G Verizon phone. Do an assumption of liability to take over your friends line and let them provision the service to your 4G phone. Then simply pull the sim from the phone and put into the iPad

You'll need to buy a sim cutter to cut it into a nano sim size

I've done this few times

3. CaCohen0509 macrumors regular

CaCohen0509

you could waste your very very precious time doing that, or you could just have your friend type in place holder info for you and you can transfer the service right on your iPad. Thats what i did when i bought a plan on eBay. Its much easier.

4. davideotape macrumors 6502

How much are these monthly costs for grandfathered unlimited plans?

5. CaCohen0509 macrumors regular

CaCohen0509

Well, it costs 29.99 monthly but it costs a lot more to actually get the plan from the people selling it. Most people on ebay are asking a thousand for them but the ones up for auction average like 500-700. Its ridiculous but i felt it was worth it because i don't wanna have to worry about overages and for the same price you get like 2-3GB on AT&T and Verizon. So that was my justification...

6. davideotape macrumors 6502

$500 's honestly not that bad if you can add a hotspot for $20 more. The break even points what, 10-11 months?

7. Jades macrumors 6502

I asked Verizon numerous times to take off my voice plan and just charge me $29.99 for data only and they wouldn't do it, whether the sim was in an iPad or in a phone. If anyone got Verizon to only charge them a flat rate of $29.99 without voice minutes, I'd be interested to hear how you got it done

8. Smileyboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

Good question..

VZW says. I can't kill the voice options.

9. bursthead macrumors 6502

bursthead

The reason why you cant kill the voice. Is because the data plan is considered an Add-on feature.

10. Smileyboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

So....So if I were to buy one of these plans. How would/could I arrange the other lines on my account?

I have 2 iPhone 5's and a iPad mini with LTE. Im assuming I could just do a family plan on my business account, get the discount and all.. But how would the data be arranged, would the other iPhone also have unlimited data and the iPad too??