Unlimited Data PLan...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SRLMJ23, Apr 13, 2011.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

When most of us upgrade to the iPhone 5, whenever it comes out, will we lose our unlimited data plan or will we keep it?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

AT&T has said that when upgrading to a new device you can keep your unlimited data plan and be grandfathered in. However, this could change at any moment. Also if the iPhone 5 happens to be LTE then we would need a new data plan, which would cancel the 3G unlimited and probably be a capped LTE/4G plan.

4. mpossoff macrumors 68020

In your opinion what about VZW iPhone for existing VZW LTE customers?

5. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Little to no chance that AT&T people with unlimited (such as myself) will keep their unlimited for the iPhone5, imo, if LTE is deployed for it. If LTE is not released for the iPhone5, then we will probably keep unlimited.

AT&T wants EVERYONE off their unlimited plan and will force everyone to start over for LTE plans. More $$$ for them.

6. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

You know it.

7. SharepointGuy macrumors member

SharepointGuy

I keep wondering what would happen if you bought an existing 4G phone while under the unlimited data plan. I would assume when the new iPhone comes out, they can't kick you off unlimited 4G data if you had unlimited 4G on your old device. This is what a rep at the AT&T store told me, but i don't believe him.

8. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I asked a sales rep guy and he said you will be grandfathered

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think that when AT&T introduces LTE there will be unlimited data plans available for at least a limited time. Verizon offers unlimited LTE data for the Thunderbolt and I can't imagine AT&T wouldn't want to compete.

10. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I can see why they want everyone off of unlimited plans, but does it make them money? Or does it just save them money on not having to upgrade their infrastructure capacity?

Example. I pay $30/month for unlimited data, but I pretty much never go above 2GB/month of use, and if I was more cognicent of my use I could probably keep it under 200MB/month. That would mean I could save $5-15/month by switching off my unlimited data, but I keep it because that money is worth the peace of mind that I don't have to worry about my usage.

11. elan123 macrumors 6502

and will they tell? hrmmmm

12. Cify macrumors newbie

I can't see AT&T letting us keep unlimited from 3g-4g :(
    We can dream though!

13. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

I thought one of the great hallmarks of the 3G to 4G transition was supposed to be removing some of the barriers and bottlenecks which contribute to scarcity of available data service to be shared among all the users connected to a particular cell tower.

If the commodity known as bandwidth becomes less scarce as a consequence of the LTE roll-out, do you believe it could, over time, actually contribute to a gradual moderation of the price premium demanded by the commodity?

14. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Right, but there is absolutely nothing stopping them from raising the rate for the 2GB to $30 and eliminating 200MB altogether at any time after your contract is up.

15. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

ATT has every right and reason to force us into new data plans if the next iPhone is LTE. I am fully expecting them to force us to change data plans if we want LTE coverage.

If the next iPhone is still just 3G (which I am hoping it's not) then I don't think they can force you out of your unlimited.

Not excited to loose my unlimited data, but I am very excited for the potential of LTE in my not too distant future.

16. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Perhaps. But they can always change their policies.

17. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Verizon already said that unlimited plans won't be available for long. I think that they will try to do the same thing as AT&T, however since Verizon already has LTE plans and none are unlimited then they probably won't offer an LTE Verizon unlimited.

18. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I would think that the LTE plans will be more expensive thus everyone paying $30 per month will be paying....whatever the higher price is....

I don't consider Verizon to be actually hurt by these unlimited data people so I don't think Verizon really suffers or is helped by how much usage they have on their networks

So, in my thought....Verizon is simply getting the $30 crowd to pay more per month...period